How to install hard top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How come there isnt a FAQ or a simple thread on the best way to install a hard top, and sides?

Hi All:

Are you speaking of installing an assembled hard top, or how-to assemble a hard top from the various pieces?

Regards,

Alan

how to assemble a hard top with everything in pieces. Start from the top down? sides up? any tricks with weatherstrip kit? Tips to mount to windshield frame? Pics?

I just recently installed a new top on my 40. There are some pictures here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...ling-81-hardtop-onto-my-74-keeping-hatch.html

Here's what I did.
Taped the weatherstripping in place to the top of the tub.
Bolted on the sides.
(Test fit the roof because I was mixing and matching parts)
Bolted in the rear header bar to sides.
Bolted in the bars over the front doors.
Taped the weather seal to the top of the sides (used scotch tape of all things).
Bolted the fiberglass top down to the sides and windshield.
Removed scotch tape.
Sealed a few small gaps with silicone sealer to try to eliminate possible leaks.

Hello Smurf How goes it? I need a top measurement when you have time please. I installed a hardtop from an 81 on to my 40 and using a rear hatch like yours. The rear opening on my top seems too wide. I have the side swing gates on my rig and I used a ratchet strap attempting to close the gap some.If you could measure your top opening top and at bottom? If not its ok.

Thank you,

Roboo

I can take some measurements today.

I had to pull things in, first with a ratchet strap an then with the bolts on the cross bar. (my tub has been extensively modified/rebuilt over the years)

With the hatch closed, from the outside, I took the following measurements: 41 5/8" top, 41 1/2" bottom. In metric, the average width is approximately 105.5 cm with about a 3 mm variance from top to bottom. These measurements are taken from the bend in the sheet metal that is visible when the hatch is closed.

There is more or less 5 mm on either side of the hatch clearance... Which I think is the more critical factor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom