How to help a combat vet with PTSD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I've got a relatively new (6 months or so) neighbor, who I spent a considerable amount of time talking with today. He'd been gone for at least the last 3 weeks or so, and this is the second time he's done this in the last couple months. He really opened up today, and he is going thru a very rough patch. His PTSD was not present until about 5 years ago, when it came outta left field.

He enlisted in the Army at 19, and after comm school, was sent over to Desert Storm. He did 4 tours over there, and went thru some major crap (best friend shot/killed beside him, having to engage women, kids, etc). He's got major PTSD issues, and is on a ton of high octane meds (which arent working, and if they are working, holy cow, id hate to see him fully off them). He goes "camping" at their other property to try to get away from his family, and to try to deal with stuff (rather unsuccessfully). When he is home, he often locks himself in the bedroom for long periods of time. He self admitted to a facility back in march to try to deal with "very sucidal thoughts". He feels guilty for the stuff he did overseas, as well as feeling guilty for collecting social sec disability/mil disability benefits. He said he feels that he is destined to go to hell for what he did over there, even though he has asked God for forgiveness. He is unable to have a "normal" job, given his symptoms. Up until his PTSD kicked in, he said he was a very successful employee and business owner.

He said he has nightmares, where he is touching noses with those he "engaged", and has to withdraw from his family. He said he had pushed away from all of his previous friends (they moved about 60 miles away from where they used to live). His wife tries to help, but has no clue how to help. He's got several kids in the house, and he doesnt know how not to be the superman they think he is. When he is home, he often is either locked in the bedroom, staring at the wall, or sitting in his SUV. He can still smell the gun oil, can still hear the sounds, etc.

He sees a therapist (who he feels is somewhat helpful), a psychiatrist, and a general dr. He's currently been perscribed neurontin, clonipan, as well as two other drugs for mental symptoms, and some blood pressure meds for HBP. He has not gone to the local VA Hosp, nor sought out VA assistance(confidence is low with him toward the VA). He had been going to a church that had a veterans group, and said he did get some benefit from that. His therapist is going to get him engaged with a combat therapist in Jan, and his wife has made an apt with his regular dr next week.

I can tell that his meds put him on one hell of a roller coaster. The swings from manic to depressed as very frequent(several during our 90 min conv). Lots of irrational thoughts, very short attention span toward a subject, as well as trying to bestow gifts upon me just for listening (none of which i would take). He buys things to try to fill the void (RC stuff mainly). He said giving things away helps him feel happy (which I would assume would be dopamine reaction compounded by the meds) I listened to him for almost 2 hours this afternoon, and really want to try to get him some good assistance. I suggested that he try to find a local PTSD support group, or another church based vets group, as well as review his meds with his Dr's to see if they are potentially counteracting each other (have some experience with the psychiatric side effects of neruontin, and he presents very similar symptoms). He said he doesnt stay on his meds, which has its own roller coaster effects.

Obviously, I'm not a vet, much less one with combat experience, so I will never fully relate to what he went through. I made sure I mentioned that several times, so he wouldnt think I was belittling his experiences. I tend to be a good listener, and have done a bunch of psych type courses through work. Obviously nothing to prepare me for this level of help. I dont want to send him down the wrong path, and make his situation worse.

So, long story short, what resources out there are proven to be helpful for PTSD assistance? We have a relatively new VA Hosp in Kernersville, NC, with mixed reviews. He said he's got great insurance coverage, so I encouraged him to put that to good use.

I dont want this guy to end up as one of the 33 vets a day that resort to suicide, as well as endanger his family (or neighbors)....

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Thanks for being there for him to talk to and listen to him talk it out.

The thing about combat, where you see the enemy actually get hit by your fire and fall down, is that it stays with you forever. Mostly because, and this is my opinion, is due to our Judeo/Christian upbringing and the Ten Commandants stating "Thou shalt not kill". Once you cross that line it takes a while to rethink all the upbringing and teachings we received as children. After my first kill there was no going back, just had to adapt my thinking to a different paradigm. It really screws with your mind and some people have a harder time coping than others. Like General Patton said "You win wars not by dying for your country but by making the enemy die for his" or words to that effect. BTW, Patton's son was in theater at the same time I was.

Mankind has been at war over assets, resources, territory, personal slights by one or more leaders toward each other and a lot of other reasons. The so called leaders and s***head politicians never engage in war, just the soldiers and they carry that for the rest of their lives.

The best advice is for him to see a real psychiatrist and not one of the VA quacks. My son is a veteran of the Iraqi Freedom conflicts and spent 23 days in the firefight at Fallujah, 23 days of CQ Combat in a constant firefight He lost a couple of very close friends. He was in the crap for his entire year there and came home with major PTSD. The Army and the VA were of no help, the VA shrink said nothing was wrong. What a quack. We spent over $122,000 on his recovery, and he is doing OK now, 11 years later, but he still has some issues and my wife and I are raising his son.

I believe your neighbor would qualify for a VA disability and the that income would help take the pressure off him.

Good luck and thanks again.

I think a nonjudgmental person (you) to listen to him and care about him can go a long way. I have good experiences at the VA Hospital, and I'm in an Iraq/Afghanistan group at the Vet Center. The Vet Center is VA, but is in a business complex, not at the hospital. Check if there's one in your area, Desert Storm veterans are also welcome in our group. This type of therapy can be some of the most powerful, because you all understand eachother, and go through very similar things. He would be able to hear how others got through the same stuff. Also does he have something to keep him occupied, or does he just sit there alone with his thoughts? A hobby would keep his mind occupied. It's very important to stay on his meds too, as you seem to understand. Remind him of that. Thanks for taking an interest, and reaching out to us.

Just stumbled across this thread and read through it.

I gotta say its nice to see there is still some sincere and sympathetic people left in this world that care. .... I have little experience with this as I am NOT a Vet. My father was in Vietnam however and still suffers PTSD symptoms to this day. I have a close friend who also did 3 tours during Iraq and desert Storm and he also had to deal with a lot of PTSD symptoms that they never really like to talk about.

However, about a year ago I went to a work/safety function and there was a motivational speaker there by the name of Major Yancy Baer. He spoke for about 45 minutes to about 300 of us. I have to say I have NEVER been moved like that in my life. He was just honest and candid and after losing one of his legs was really in a dark place also. Now he was up on stage with his service dog that came to him I believe.... through a Canines for Independence organization that was founded in 1975.

Major Baer stated how being paired with this dog basically helped save his life and turned his whole life around. Since that time he had been actively helping other Vets with their issues, promoting canine companions and spreading the word. This guy was super cool, loved shooting and the outdoors. I remember him saying during one of his first outings with the organization that helped turn his life around that they took him down to the gulf and they went surfing in like 2' waves......He stated just being out there, and out of the routine that he had fallen into was a strong first stepping stone that helped him find his way.

This guy was truly a class act and I will never forget him and his story.

Its not much, but its what I have to add in hopes that it makes a difference in someone's life that needs and deserves the help.

Keep up the good work. :beer:

Ruben-

Another good suggestion. I also know veterans that have really benefitted from a service dog.

My good friend is suffering ... be has med after med and I feel he has been an experiment to see what meds work and what do t at this point.

The VA has been dicking him around with one thing after another ... not to mention he is on perminent pain killers since being essentially blown apart ... hence no longer an active marine

Sounds kinda on the nuts side byt he has just recently found ALOT of help in picking up music ... learning guitar ... anything musical

Need to hear him one day... but he says "I'm not there yet " (talking about himself)

He's made a lot of progress in the last two weeks ... and he contributes this to the music

Just throwing that out there

The dog is the best suggestion!
When I came back from my last tour in Iraq in 2007, I retired. I think after doing 21 years, and 6 combat tours, (Panama x2, Beirut, and Iraq x3) I should of stayed in for another year, just so I could "melt" into civilian life slowly. However, I retired soon after coming home and, to tell you the truth, I don't know why I'm still here! The first year was ok, but the second year back I hit a brick wall! I started abusing prescription drugs, got in trouble with the law (1st time in my life!) and damn near killed myself! Why my wife and kids are still around..... I'll never know. But 3 years ago, the 3 of them bought me a Australian Sheppard puppy, and I honestly believe,without a shadow of a doubt, that my Aussie saved my life! Being disabled, I spend my days alone. But now, Olivia gives me a reason to get up, get going, and keep going 24/7!!
If anyone you know is suffering, consider a dog to help them out. I can tell Olivia of all the things I had to do over there to stay alive, and to keep my Marines alive as well. She listens when I tell her about the first person I killed, and when I tell her how they almost killed me. She listens when I remember out loud, the Marines that were assigned to my platoon, that didn't make it home. Who knows......I probably AM crazy, and my dog probably thinks I'm kookoo in the head! But regardless, in all seriousness.... without my puppy (now 65#) I know I wouldn't be here today! Thank You America for your Support! It really does mean the World to us! Semper Fidelis.... GySgt Ulfsax USMC, Ret.

My dog on a recent camping trip, I was about to get out of the tent. She's Australian Cattle Dog/Border Collie mix. I think her and our other dog are very important to my recovery.
IMG_0340.JPG

My good friend is suffering ... be has med after med and I feel he has been an experiment to see what meds work and what do t at this point.

The VA has been dicking him around with one thing after another ... not to mention he is on perminent pain killers since being essentially blown apart ... hence no longer an active marine

Sounds kinda on the nuts side byt he has just recently found ALOT of help in picking up music ... learning guitar ... anything musical

Need to hear him one day... but he says "I'm not there yet " (talking about himself)

He's made a lot of progress in the last two weeks ... and he contributes this to the music

Just throwing that out there

We all need to find the thing that works for us, I've heard a variety of things that different people like.

Motorcycles.
Shooting.
Projects.
Fishing.
Working out.
Companion dog.
Time in remote places.
And the list goes on.

stevezero--Read this whole post, and I gotta tell you, the compassion and willingness to just listen(and you did for 2 hrs) seems to mean more than ANY goofy VA folks could ever provide. The fact that you are not a combat Vet may just be the ticket--you don't have the precon notions, it is all new to you, so your reactions are similar to what his were when he was suddenly confronted with them. I think he might somehow relate to that.
No offense here, but you were kinda like man' s best friend --no judgement,(no condemnation, no glorification, no rationalization), just a good listen---
every single one of us have our own demons--that's why the Lord gave us Goldens--
And you wondered why Danny was so good at this----

I dont want this guy to end up as one of the 33 vets a day that resort to suicide

Well done. What you are doing and offering to your neighbor is noble and I applaud your concern.

PTSD manifests differently, at different times in different people. Good quality professional help for-sure but, I've found that establishing - reestablishing a personal relationship with your (M)aker goes a llooonnnnggg way on the road to "Damascus" too...

Good on you @stevezero, my .50cal gunner and one my very best friends has been going through this. He has spells and just leaves and stays out in the woods for days some times weeks. I think @Helipilot is right about what is causing his PTSD, I've tried talking to him but he wont. He seems to get comfort from his dog and is more like his old self when he's with him. Maybe if your neighbor was open to maybe getting companion dog like @Big Ed had suggested.

Wow I just noticed how old this post is, wonder how he's doing.

Well, he has been off the reservation since early March. Just prior, he had mentioned that he had made a couple of phone calls to one of the veteran based ptsd groups my wife had found. He came over to see if I could help get his jeep running, and once we got it situated, he was thinking about going to TN to see his adult daughter. I have no clue if he went out there, back to their cabin, or somewhere else. I havent been able to try to speak to his wife to see what he's up to. I dont know her well enough to ask that awkward question....

Id love for her to tell me that he's in therapy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom