How to fix dead oil pressure gage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lor

Threads
I don't know where to start. The gage is not working. Any suggestion where to start first? Thanks.

Check the connection at the back of the guage panel. The panel pulls out easily. If the wires are still connected replace your oil sending unit located on the driver side of the 2F toward the transmission under the exhaust manifold.
If the sensor need to be replaced they are available but your money would be better spent on a mechanical guage. ;)
Also, is your oil pump still working? Not to be an alarmest but you may want to make sure you don't ahave a bigger problem. Probabaly not.

OK, the gage is still connected. Could you explain more about the mechanical guage or where do I get one? Also, I got the F engine instead. Where is the sending unit on the F engine?

Probably a dumb question, but how do I test the oil pump? I'm guessing it is ok, but now I want to make sure it IS ok. Thanks again.

On the F, the sending unit is on the driver's side near the rear of the block. you can get a mech gauge from several locations. Cheaper units from local auto store or the autometer/VDO gauge set. The mech doe require you to plumb the oil line into the cab though.

Auto Zone, Kragen, Chuckers etc. all have guages. I bought a metric converstion kit to fit the thread where the sending unit was replaced. Tube goes directly to the guage. Easy.
Have you been running your FJ since the guage quit working?
If so and it hasn't over heated or stalled your pump is probably ok.
Also check the wire that goes to the sending unit. Mine had fallen off once. :eek:
You may be able to get a sending unit from your auto parts store. I did and it took them a day to order it.
It is an easy repair.
Good Luck.

OK, I checked the wire from the sending unit. It was broken. Could someone tell me where this wire hook up to? I got three disconnected wires (from the bundle that had one wire to the brake cylinder). Is it possible that one of these wires is connected to the sending unit? These wires are one blue, one green, and one black. The wire from the sending unit is white/black.

I've been driving the FJ with the gauge dead, and it hasn't overheat or stall.

The wire for the sending unit comes out of the loom lower, near the WS washer res. Should be Y/B or W/B just keep grounding wires until the gauge moves.

The wire for the sending unit comes out of the loom lower, near the WS washer res. Should be Y/B or W/B just keep grounding wires until the gauge moves.

Uh, not quite sure where this is at. Is it on the driver side or passenger side? My washer res. is on the passenger side near the radiator. My FJ is a '78.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom