How to Extract Spindle Bushing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

supercarrera

I Like LEDs
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hi, I'll be tearing into my axel tomorrow to find out the cause of the noise/vibration I described in an earlier thread. Sounds like it might be the spindle bushing. I did a search but did not come up with anything specific about extracting it from the spindle. From the FSM it looks like a special tool is neccessary. Anybody have any experience pulling the bushing out and replacing it?

Thanks

What's a spindle bushing? I've never needed any specialty tools to rip an axle down to little itty bitty parts, although snap ring pliers help if that's a specialty tool.

Those spindles are VERY expensive to buy new.

I've replaced them a couple of times, they are tough to get out. What I did last time was take a small cutoff wheel in my Dremel tool, and cut a slice that made a spiral up thru the bushing. You have to be very careful as you get deeper into the brass, because you don't want to cut into the steel spindle, and you can't let the tool "kick" on you, it will bind the wheel which will cause it to snap and fling chunks of wheel back at you at very high speed. Make sure you wear safety goggles.

Once you get the slice cut all the way up, the bushing will collapse a little, and you can tap it out with a really long punch.

Worked for me. Others may have a better technique.

Spindle Bushings

I got mine out with a brass punch. I put the spindle on top of a vise opened enough to allow the bushing to fall through got my brass punch and a hammer beat the bushing out. There is enough of a lip inside the spindle bushing and I hammerd around the inside of the bushing and got it out. Again this might not be the best way but it worked for me and the punch must be brass or you will ruin your spindle also my hammer was a dead blow type of hammer with on side a brass face. Be cautioned once started the brass bushing inside will be ruined. Good Luck.

Another tip: ALWAYS do a dry test fit of the Birfield into the spindle after you get the new bushing installed. I neglected to do this once, it was too tight, and the bushing siezed to the Birf and spun in the spindle.

If it's too tight, use a brake hone and cutting fluid to open it up till it fits nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom