1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Extract Spindle Bushing?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by supercarrera, Feb 23, 2007.

1. supercarrera

supercarrera I Like LEDs

Hi, I'll be tearing into my axel tomorrow to find out the cause of the noise/vibration I described in an earlier thread. Sounds like it might be the spindle bushing. I did a search but did not come up with anything specific about extracting it from the spindle. From the FSM it looks like a special tool is neccessary. Anybody have any experience pulling the bushing out and replacing it?

Thanks

2. ptmacp

ptmacp

What's a spindle bushing? I've never needed any specialty tools to rip an axle down to little itty bitty parts, although snap ring pliers help if that's a specialty tool.

3. missipboy

missipboy

why not replace the spindle. probably cheaper than buying the sst.

4. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

Those spindles are VERY expensive to buy new.

I've replaced them a couple of times, they are tough to get out. What I did last time was take a small cutoff wheel in my Dremel tool, and cut a slice that made a spiral up thru the bushing. You have to be very careful as you get deeper into the brass, because you don't want to cut into the steel spindle, and you can't let the tool "kick" on you, it will bind the wheel which will cause it to snap and fling chunks of wheel back at you at very high speed. Make sure you wear safety goggles.

Once you get the slice cut all the way up, the bushing will collapse a little, and you can tap it out with a really long punch.

Worked for me. Others may have a better technique.

5. harper68

harper68

Spindle Bushings

I got mine out with a brass punch. I put the spindle on top of a vise opened enough to allow the bushing to fall through got my brass punch and a hammer beat the bushing out. There is enough of a lip inside the spindle bushing and I hammerd around the inside of the bushing and got it out. Again this might not be the best way but it worked for me and the punch must be brass or you will ruin your spindle also my hammer was a dead blow type of hammer with on side a brass face. Be cautioned once started the brass bushing inside will be ruined. Good Luck.

6. brew8

brew8 SILVER Star

Albums:
    Heat the spindle before you tap it out much easier, cheers, Larry

7. shanegtr

shanegtr

I've just done the old brass drift trick. Theres not much of a lip to work with (not on the one I done anyway, it was worn badly). They are tight, but nothing a bit of swearing wont fix;p

8. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

Another tip: ALWAYS do a dry test fit of the Birfield into the spindle after you get the new bushing installed. I neglected to do this once, it was too tight, and the bushing siezed to the Birf and spun in the spindle.

If it's too tight, use a brake hone and cutting fluid to open it up till it fits nicely.