How to do a test jump start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased one of these jump starter battery packs on Amazon. Nice looking piece for the emergency kit, but I'd really like to give it a dry run to make sure it works while I'm still in the return period. Without draining my battery down, is there any other way to do a test jump start?

Depending on the brand and safety features your unit has you may be able to disconnect the battery, hook the positive lead of the jump pack to disconnected positive cables, negative lead to the disconnected negative cables, then see if it will start your truck. I know some NOCO's can work that way. Most jumper packs need a load to output current as a safety feature. You may need to have the positive jumper lead connected to battery positive.

Last edited:
I can see being hesitant to connect the jumper to the starter directly without the truck battery as an intermediary. That could mean higher currents than with the truck battery there and maybe damage to the jump pack. And if you use the regular battery cables without the battery, there may be odd things going on between the alternator and the jump battery after the engine starts. Without knowing the specs/inner workings of the jump pack it's hard to say. I would try to ask the manufacturer first.
That out of the way, I would think it's probably OK for a test to connect the jump pack directly to the starter and see if it can turn the engine, keeping the cranking very short. That could damage the jump pack of course, but then again, if the jump pack can't actually turn the engine, it's useless, and you could be in a predicament out in the boonies. And those things aren't that expensive.

I’m thinking I might just drain the battery down. It’s really not that big a deal, I’ve got a battery charger to get things back to normal.

I’m thinking I might just drain the battery down. It’s really not that big a deal, I’ve got a battery charger to get things back to normal.
👍 It's alwasy better if you test scenario is as close as possible to the real-life situation. Although this test isn't real good for you battery but just once isn't going to be that bad.

maybe somebody has a bad battery you could borrow? I usually have one around.

Yes, it's not like FLA starting batteries go completely dead every time somebody forgets to turn the headlights off (on dumber vehicles) and runs them down. But not great for them either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom