how to disconnect the factory rear camera? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thecoldfish.com
Can anyone share tips on how to disconnect the rear camera on a 2004? These fasteners and their placement on the body escape my understanding. Can they be taken off non-destructively? If I destroy them, what kind of fastener do I use to replace them?

(I've attached a pic. There's one fastener on each side of the camera.)
tempImageHPPAC4.png

Thanks for any pointers folks can share.

-- Jason

Thanks for the snark, but that's one result of many when you Google, and it doesn't really agree with dozens of other google results for the same inscription on the end of the fastener. (And it doesn't agree with the part number in the FSM.). And it doesn't give me much advice on how to remove the camera. Again, thanks for being That Guy.

No snark, just pointing out sometimes it's the simplest solution. Weird that you're getting other results, the whole page and images for me is only that fastener. There's no part numbers in the FSM. Online diagrams don't show that piece available separately, just the screws (the it looks like you're missing or already removed).

1659204707151.png

"that guy" and many others here, just trying to be helpful - for free.

I see why you are trying to replace it.

What caused the damage?

No snark, just pointing out sometimes it's the simplest solution. Weird that you're getting other results, the whole page and images for me is only that fastener. There's no part numbers in the FSM. Online diagrams don't show that piece available separately, just the screws (the it looks like you're missing or already removed).

View attachment 3073168

"that guy" and many others here, just trying to be helpful - for free.
The part number I get is 90166-60003, which is consistent with the diagram you posted. It comes up when I search for parts related to the parking assist camera. Searching on that part number results in other applications, sadly. My visit to the local dealer didn't help much, either. They couldn't come up with the part, and they had to call on a tech from Service to investigate the fastener.

It's a good example of challenges in inventory management in the auto industry, across years and aspects of vehicles. It's also a good case study in the value of ih8mud. Someone will see our conversation (and, gods willing, my write-up about this task) and learn.

I see why you are trying to replace it.

What caused the damage?
Rear ended on the 8th. I chose to do the leg work to manage repairs myself. I'm at the point where I'm transferring the guts of the ruined gate to the repainted salvage gate. This means needing to fasten the parking assist camera to the new gate.

I'm learning that fasteners are varied and mysterious.

It's also a good case study in the value of ih8mud. Someone will see our conversation (and, gods willing, my write-up about this task) and learn.

And a good case for keeping all of it in one thread vs. starting several, one stop shopping.

Rear ended on the 8th. I chose to do the leg work to manage repairs myself. I'm at the point where I'm transferring the guts of the ruined gate to the repainted salvage gate. This means needing to fasten the parking assist camera to the new gate.

I'm learning that fasteners are varied and mysterious.
So if you are reusing the camera the image must be ok. Maybe it is the picture, but it looked like the lens had been abraded.

Good luck with the project.

So if you are reusing the camera the image must be ok. Maybe it is the picture, but it looked like the lens had been abraded.

Good luck with the project.
The camera image is fine, but I'm going to use the 2006 camera that came from the scrap yard.

What did you see? Where is the damage?
When I magnify the picture of the camera it looks like the lens is covered with white dots like it got scuffed, as well as a scuff on the upper lip of the casing. Maybe debris was there that could wipe off.

Obviously not a concern as the image is apparently fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom