How-To change a broken lug. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did put just a little bit of effort into matching the splines when starting to draw the lugs into the hub. Just a smidge of antiseize or grease also seemed appropriate.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a wheel stud installer, heated the hub with a torch, and froze the studs installing. My spacer was too large the first time and didn't allow the nut to get threaded on enough threads causing them to strip from the pressure. I used a torque wrench to tighten the nut down and pull the stud through.

25981286_lis_22800_pri_larg.jpg

Dumb question, but on the rear hub there appears to be a cover for the wheel studs (my guess is that it’s the axle flange). How do I go about getting it off so I can get the new stud in?

46808885-3184-40C5-987C-2688F17624B2.jpeg

Dumb question, but on the rear hub there appears to be a cover for the wheel studs (my guess is that it’s the axle flange). How do I go about getting it off so I can get the new stud in?

View attachment 2991974
If you are talking about the round part, that is just the back of the wheel stud.

Nothing else to remove except popping that wheel stud out now.

IMG_1186.jpeg

Some of the tips in this thread are very helpful for getting your new wheel studs in. I used this method (pulled right in straight, no problem):

IMG_1200.jpeg

If you are talking about the round part, that is just the back of the wheel stud.

Nothing else to remove except popping that wheel stud out now.

View attachment 2991979

Some of the tips in this thread are very helpful for getting your new wheel studs in. I used this method (pulled right in straight, no problem):

View attachment 2991981
I’ve highlighted the backing plate. It appears to be covering the backs of all of the studs. It also seems like there is some kind of gasket sandwiched in between that plate and the hub.

A7F5C690-F884-4147-B025-23FC8DF9FD91.jpeg

I’ve highlighted the backing plate. It appears to be covering the backs of all of the studs. It also seems like there is some kind of gasket sandwiched in between that plate and the hub.

View attachment 2991995

That does not cover the back of the studs. There are holes in that plate where the studs go through.

I may have missed it but can anyone chime in on the proper bolt size/pitch for pulling the disc brake off? Or could you just give it a few whacks to get it to come off. Might be good to throw it in the tool kit along with the setup being used to pull the new stud in.

That does not cover the back of the studs. There are holes in that plate where the studs go through.
Cool, I’ll go ahead and start hammering then

I appreciate ya!

Update: Came off w/o issue. And got the new one on in under 10 min using a 5/8 nut as a spacer! 😎

Last edited:
Cool, I’ll go ahead and start hammering then

I appreciate ya!

Update: Came off w/o issue. And got the new one on in under 10 min using a 5/8 nut as a spacer! 😎

Awesome!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom