How to attach new cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I removed the steel cable on my 8274 winch, the end of the cable went through the hole in the drum and was doubled over and secured with cable clamp as seen in the photo. My new Smitybilt synthetic cable has a thimble over the end with a hole through it. What’s the best safest way to secure the synthetic rope to my 8274 drum????

75748CBB-A311-485A-BC84-9165F33015F7.jpeg

DA12E0A5-FAB7-4DC8-BD27-183387F1744D.jpeg

No expert here as I still have wire rope on both of my 8274’s...but no matter what, we are not supposed to use the last wrap of the line for any ‘real’ pulls.

I think I would cut your thimble off, push your rope thru and just tie a knot at the end. And make sure you stop pulling with still 7-8 full wraps on the drum. I think that would be safe.

I spliced an eye in the end of my winch line then girth hitched it to the drum. Similar in strength to the knot shown above. (ie larks foot versus clove hitch).

cut your thimble off, push your rope thru and just tie a knot at the end. And make sure you stop pulling with still 7-8 full wraps on the drum. I think that would be safe.

This is exactly right, and what I have on my 8274 with synthetic. Works perfectly.

That procedure that @landwagon posted would work, but it's a waste of line tying that knot on there. The knot doesn't keep the winch line on the drum, the wraps do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom