How Much Worst is an 80 in an Emergency Maneuver (swerve) than a 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just viewed a video where dude with an 80 sold it to buy a brand new Prado. Main reason was safety on pavement - which in reality ends up being 95% of the driving you do on expedition. (yes the 80 is better/stronger on trails)

I ask this as I am considering an 80 for expedition use (NA to SA) and am very close (not done) to buying an 80. This will entail a lot of driving on new to me roads with a population that does not follow all the laws of the road! My thinking is the more you can evade a potential incident the better (within reason - we ain't talking a 911 status). This happened at least once with my 8k lb 2017 van where I had to swerve onto the gravel shoulder when a vehicle stopped short to make a left-hand turn. I attribute a successful swerve to
1 - IFS
2 - upgraded shocks (did not wallow as much)
3 -sturdy sidewall tire (K02)
4 - great driving skills-;)

So - If you have had experience with both or either - I'd appreciate some input. (or should I just grow a pair - get the 80 & move on!)

You can get a campteq for a 100 now so don't let that change your decision.
I've never had to do an emergency maneuver in my 80 and hope to never have to.
Good strong shocks to prevent body roll are a must. Keeping sway bars will help. I don't have my rear installed. Delta rear panhard bracket made a world of difference in the rear body roll. The 80 does a great job at keeping itself slow, especially one loaded down with gear.

You can get a campteq for a 100 now so don't let that change your decision.
I've never had to do an emergency maneuver in my 80 and hope to never have to.
Good strong shocks to prevent body roll are a must. Keeping sway bars will help. I don't have my rear installed. Delta rear panhard bracket made a world of difference in the rear body roll. The 80 does a great job at keeping itself slow, especially one loaded down with gear.
For the longest time, I was all over wanting a 100 with a Campteq. Til I figured that since the 80 is a more analog unit, it may be a better platform. I realize a LC "trip ready" is heavy (but certainly no heavier than my 8,000 lb van). Yes, they are slow but swerves can happen at slow speeds and still may ruin a trip. I've posted lots of inquires to optimize what I will end up buying. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a rig and will take all the input to come to a decision. (a very 1st world problem!)

I've driven both at high rates of speed that were beyond what's considered freeway speeds in Africa both on pavement and off-road. Additionally, I've performed many of the evasive maneuvers that a typical driver may have to face as well as those specialized maneuvers that few will ever encounter. That being said, as far as roll over issues, the only vehicle that ever did the corkscrew dirt dive was a 105 Land Cruiser. Which I was not driving. The 80 series, as long as the suspension components are fresh, meaning not worn out, and beefed up handled like a dream. The 100/105 was the same but roomier/softer ride. I found the steering at speed to feel sloppy compared to the tightness of the 80 but that's a lot of personal preference. Also, COG plays a huge issue in whether or not they'll roll. I try to keep as much weight off the roof as possible. One other thing to note is the 80 is going to feel underpowered compared to the 100, although once you get up and moving, you don't really notice it. For slow technical trail stuff, it didn't make a difference power wise. The 80 outshines the 100.

Thanks for all the replies. I originally posted this and a bunch of other inquiries about 2 months ago. I took all the advice given and ended up doing a 180 and ended up buying a 2013 Tacoma Access Cab and will be installing an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper to it next month.

The best accessory that you need in preparing the truck is a scale .
Weight is the silent and invisible enemy , the lighter the better .
In all items , wheels , tires , tent , extras ecc .
And the lower the better .
Just my 5 cents

The best accessory that you need in preparing the truck is a scale .
Weight is the silent and invisible enemy , the lighter the better .
In all items , wheels , tires , tent , extras ecc .
And the lower the better .
Just my 5 cents
Agreed - 100% - I'm on it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom