How Much Up Travle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried to lower my FJ40 with 35" tires and now I only have about 1.5" of up travle in the front before the spring hits the pitman arm:bang: I took 2 springs out of the stock front springs to make them softer, and now they are almost flat at ride height. I did the same on my scout and it worked great, but I think I had more up travle.

I guess I would like to know how LITTLE up travle you guys have and how well it works.

01-24-09_2108.jpg
Thanks for any input

The Scout worked OK
PICT0003-3.jpg

I don't have much uptravel either.....

hitting the pitman is BAD tho, got a pic of that?

I will get a pic of the pitman arm tomorrow. At about 2" of up travle the spring hits the zerk on the TRE at full left turn.
Thanks for the input.

you can get a flatter pitman arm or just go full hydro, that would solve your problem fo-sho

Here are some pics of the problem!

PICT0002-10.jpg

PICT0003-9.jpg

I hope I can live with it this summer, I want to do a three link in the fall. I just thought that 1.5" before the bumpstop was too close. Let me know what you think, or any ideas I may have overlooked to improve the travle.

Thanks for the info:clap:

I am having a hard time understanding your steering box design...

The box is off a 88 Astro with the pitman arm pointing to the front of the FJ. The pitman arm is off a 197? Waggy. The stock astro arm was too short.

I thought of moving the box in but the steering shaft would hit the motor mount and exhaust.
Thanks for the idea.

toss a couple extra u-joints into the mix? I have seen some pretty crazy steering shafts that dodge all sorts of stuff on hot rods.

I will try that Monday. I just have to live with the leaf springs for the summer and then it is getting $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, sorry I ment $coilovers$ and a 3 link for the front. I will let you know how it goes.

I would go back to the junkyard and get a different steering box myself..

I got the astro box so I did not have to mount it in front of the grill. I will cut the frame at the crossmember right under the grill when I do the 3 link. I do not like the look or function of the frame hanging out in front of the tires. I have turned the springs to move the axle forward, and don't want to move it any farther to cover the steering box.

PICT0002-9.jpg

Then go FJ60 or scout steering box..

I think I would still end up with the same problem. I could not move the box out enough to get the pitman away from the spring.

Lots of people use the exact same setup as you do with a scout or FJ60 box.

You could also mod the pittman arm to accept a heim in double shear (plates on both the top and bottom of the steering arm). But if you did that, be sure that you are a good welder.

I am going to grind the clocking teeth off the splines and move the arm to the right one tooth. This should get me out from under the frame and not change the turn radius of the pitman arm. Thanks for all the ideas, I have found alot of great info on this forum. I will try to do a build thread when I get it all done for the guys that want to put chevy drivetrain in.

I am going to grind the clocking teeth off the splines and move the arm to the right one tooth. This should get me out from under the frame and not change the turn radius of the pitman arm. Thanks for all the ideas, I have found alot of great info on this forum. I will try to do a build thread when I get it all done for the guys that want to put chevy drivetrain in.

Keep in mind if you do that, you won't have the same amount of steering from one side to the other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom