how much play is too much play? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was going to repack the front end wheel bearings this afternoon (have done some water crossing earlier) and after I removed the hub the cv and the flange, I found that there is a tiny little play on the flange (where the flange meets the shaft) on one side, the other side feels like no play at all. Is this something that needs attention or it just normal wear. The play is just like a tiny hair bit of play but I can definitely feel it.

I don't feel like dropping $900 for a pair of nitro chromoly shaft now if I can still get few more miles out of that.
No visible damage on the diff end of the shaft and no play in the brifield too.

Thanks,

If this play really bothers you I'd try going the cheaper route first. I'd buy a new drive flange and see how much play you have between the CV shaft, and the new drive flange. One thing to remember when the splines on the CV joint, and the splines inside the drive flange are put under alot of load. The splines on the drive flange will fail before the CV splines do. So you may have some wear on your drive flange splines causing you're play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom