How much can I grind 4Runner calipers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yooper

SILVER Star
Threads
FINALLY getting my Pig rolling again after a complete knuckle rebuild and high steer install done in my "spare" time. Almost done - went to put on the 35" tires and the 15x10 rockcrawler wheels are hitting the new 4Runner calipers. :doh: I've ground at least 1/4" off the calipers where the wheels are hitting and they still bind. How much can I grind on these things before I hit the hydraulic chamber inside or weaken it too much? Any experience out there?

thanks,

Sean

I don't remember how much I ground off of mine, but I still have about 1/8" of the fin showing. I think you could totally remove the fins.

I totally removed the outside fin - don't know if that was the thing to do or not, but it's done -

I also completely removed the outermost fin, and then a little more. If you are worried about finding out how much is too much to grind, get some 1/4" spacers. Everyone goes after the 4 runner calipers, but some of the earlier t100 calipers are the same, only without that outer cooling fin.

I put a lock washer between the caliper and the knuckle, moving it in about 1/8". (Thanks Steve!) This allowed me to stop grinding. I used the same washer trick on the second side and had to grind about the same amount, so I guess I stopped at the right time on the first side! Pic of the second side after the last grind that worked. The scary part was taking off material on that inside curve - there was no big thick cooling fin there, but that's where the rubbing was - the inside back edge of each D cutout was hitting there:

groundcaliper.jpg

Back from the dead thread --

Yooper, just wondering how the lock washer between the caliper and the knuckle has held up?

I've just put some 4Runner calipers on my 60 and need to grind, but would like to minimize it, of course.

Thanks.

Grind away...

Stop when it starts to smoke and burn brake fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom