How much boost with stock injectors & fuel mapping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As far as I know and read you cannot do a OBD flash on this system. You have to use a piggy back system. Like mega squirt.

Or a stand alone system like Haltech

Mine's been running 7.5lbs for the past 100k with stock injectors rising rate FMU, exhaust, and a Unichip.

According to Landtank, maybe its time to bump her up a bit. :D I was afraid to take it past 7 or so.

Last edited:
Reading up on old threads, it doesn't appear that anyone has taken their boost past 10psi. I'm wondering with the Supra fuel pump, if you could get a few more psi...

I'm currently running 10.50 to 10.75 with no problems. I ran 10 for long time and then added just a pinch more psi. HTH

I'm currently running 10.50 to 10.75 with no problems. I ran 10 for long time and then added just a pinch more psi. HTH

Are you doing something extra with your timing .?

has anyone actually done a dyno of their truck after installing a turbo?

Yup. Mine was dyno'd after each phase. I can try to remember to get some scans of them tomorrow during work. Seems like after the FMU, Unichip, 3" downpipe / exhaust / high flow cat, @ 7psi I had close to 400 ft/lbs to the rear wheels. This was with locked CDL and front drive line removed to get true rear wheel numbers.

I know that it tows similar to my old man's stock '02 Cummins. :grinpimp:

Crap, I feel like I'm wussing out here.

What do you have for fuel management? Stock ECU plus Lantank's MAF? Miles on motor? Miles on turbo? Do you tow a lot or have it in constant boost?? (I do about 3k - 4k a year of 4,000 - 6,000 lb boat towing. What about head gasket?

This might warrant another dyno run. :D

Yup. Mine was dyno'd after each phase. I can try to remember to get some scans of them tomorrow during work. Seems like after the FMU, Unichip, 3" downpipe / exhaust / high flow cat, @ 7psi I had close to 400 ft/lbs to the rear wheels. This was with locked CDL and front drive line removed to get true rear wheel numbers.

I know that it tows similar to my old man's stock '02 Cummins. :grinpimp:

Very cool. How much RWHP did it make? Which turbo are you running?

Very cool. How much RWHP did it make? Which turbo are you running?

It's the full Safari setup from about 10 years ago with the intercooler. I hate to do a 'desktop dyno' but I think it was in the upper 200's on the RWHP. I was more concerned with torque at the time so it sticks with me more, but It seems like the numbers were about 130 apart and I know torque was pushing 400.

It's the full Safari setup from about 10 years ago with the intercooler. I hate to do a 'desktop dyno' but I think it was in the upper 200's on the RWHP. I was more concerned with torque at the time so it sticks with me more, but It seems like the numbers were about 130 apart and I know torque was pushing 400.

I wonder exactly what size/trim/AR turbo was included with the Safari kit. I just did some quick google search and didn't come up with anything.

I would love to see your dyno if you get a chance to find it.

I wonder exactly what size/trim/AR turbo was included with the Safari kit. I just did some quick google search and didn't come up with anything.

I would love to see your dyno if you get a chance to find it.

Ya I'll look it up. Seems like every 6 months this comes up so it would be nice to actually having something useful to contribute.

Seems like the docs with the kit didn't say anything about the actual turbine specs, (vendor secret I'm sure.) but I might have an old thread that somebody else told me what they were. I know it was a common unit used on Volvo's in the mid 90's.

Here we go. Good conversation on stock Safari specs: (#6 for specific turbine specs.)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/507201-help-sourcing-safari-turbo-turbo-assembly.html

(Hopefully this isn't a thread hijack since it seemed like the OP was asking some general Q&A.)

Good thread, but still no specs on the stock turbo. People mentioned something similar in size to a GT2860 or so. That is pretty small IMO.

Speaking of the OP. An answer to your question:

I figure one of the turbo guys has a good idea on an answer to this question.
The amount of boost you can run will vary depending on which turbo you go with. 20psi on a small turbo can be the same amount of air flow (and HP potential) as 6psi on a larger turbo. It all depends on actual air flow, not the amount of boost you're running. Most guys here seem to get away with around 6-10psi. But I haven't seen anyone post dynos with AFR/psi datalogs yet. Hopefully someone will if they have the data from a build that's already been done.

Good thread, but still no specs on the stock turbo. People mentioned something similar in size to a GT2860 or so. That is pretty small IMO.

Speaking of the OP. An answer to your question:

The amount of boost you can run will vary depending on which turbo you go with. 20psi on a small turbo can be the same amount of air flow (and HP potential) as 6psi on a larger turbo. It all depends on actual air flow, not the amount of boost you're running. Most guys here seem to get away with around 6-10psi. But I haven't seen anyone post dynos with AFR/psi datalogs yet. Hopefully someone will if they have the data from a build that's already been done.

clownmidget had this in post #6 in that link and seemed to know his stuff pretty well. Sounds like he talked directly to the Safari manufacturer.

"It is just a Garrett T04E compressor housing with a CHRA T3/T4 56 trim cartridge, .82 A/R turbine housing. I had my original one in my 1997 rebuilt by Turbonetics back in 2006 for $500."

I can tell you it is a very comfortable low RPM boost curve. Seems perfect for the natural power band of the motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom