How long (how much) to replace a clutch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

The consensus here is that my clutch has slipped. What can I expect to pay a mechanic to fix it? What can you guys tell me to educate myself about this situation so I don't end up paying more than I need to?

Thanks,

Johnny

ps-can't try to fix it myself here in chicago...no tools, no garage.

A new clutch slave is $29 and a clutch master is $45. Also maybe $100 for mechanics fees. I would replace both even if only one has gone bad.

No, He needs a new Clutch. Pressure Plate, Disc, TO bearing, pilot bearing, rear main seal, machine the flywheel, etc. Parts alone will run you $200 - $400 depending on quality. Labor I am guessing around 4-5 hrs. at whatever the going rate in your area is ($75-90). Overall you are looking at spending $750 - $1,000 to have it done. Your best bet is to hook up with a local cruiser head who will lend you a hand and some space and tools to do it yourself. Good Luck

Dynosoar:zilla:

No, He needs a new Clutch. Pressure Plate, Disc, TO bearing, pilot bearing, rear main seal, machine the flywheel, etc. Parts alone will run you $200 - $400 depending on quality. Labor I am guessing around 4-5 hrs. at whatever the going rate in your area is ($75-90). Overall you are looking at spending $750 - $1,000 to have it done. Your best bet is to hook up with a local cruiser head who will lend you a hand and some space and tools to do it yourself. Good Luck

Dynosoar:zilla:

I agree with this. Toyota clutch and bits, main seal, plus hydraulics is at least $400. The job itself involves taking out the tranny and the attached t-case. It isn't hard (I've done it alone a couple of times) but the thing is heavy and awkward. Getting it back in is faily easy with a hoist or tranny jack, but without that it isn't going to happen.

A complete job done right will be at least $1000. If you leave out the hydraulics, you'll save a bit now but pay later.

BTW--Is the clutch slipping? ie motor revs and car doesn't accelerate or move as it should.

Book time is 6hrs for clutch, flywheel R&R.
2Hrs for master & slave R&R.

HTH

So 8 hours of shop time @$100 = $800

Parts $400+

Flywheel resurface $50

That's a fair amount of coin! Fortunately on FJ60's, the clutches seem to last close to 200K.

If these clutches are supposed to last 200K, why is mine going out at 96K???

If these clutches are supposed to last 200K, why is mine going out at 96K???

Either driven pretty hard, or not adjusted correctly, or bad hydraulics. You have some more investigating to do. My buddies 85 FJ60 clutch went to 220K, mine went to 200k and was still solid, I just replaced when I did the 5 speed. You are extremely lucky to have a low mileage truck like that. Are you sure the odometer wasn't replaced with a lower mile one at some point?

Back to the last thread you started I asked, "do you drive like a grama?"... do you sit at stop lights and get the clutch and gas peddle in the exact right places so you don't roll when you should be using your brake peddle? do you slip the clutch for 10 seconds or more just to make your take-offs "smoother"? It really all is driver skill. Once upon a time, when I was 16 and didn't buy my own tires, I killed a clutch in 20K miles in a Honda CRX. The guy at the Honda shop took me out and re-taught me how to drive stick... like I said, Once upon a time...

One owner before me, and I know him well. That's original mileage. If it's not adjusted correctly or has bad hydraulics, is the bottom line the same or can it just be tuned up?

I've been nothing but gentle with this clutch but only had this truck for 6 months. I'll have to call the previous owner to find out how bad he was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom