How long and how fast can you drive on the highway while aired down? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all

Going to be taking a trip from NW Arkansas to northern Arizona in the next couple of weeks and plan to do a fair amount of it on dirt roads. There will be numerous sections of paved highway. Do you air up and down at each change? What are the guidelines for driving on paved roads while aired down?

Depends on how low you are aired down. Aired-down tires will heat up at highway speeds. If it's just a mile or two of pavement between trails, I just drive at modest speed, maybe 35 mph tops, but I like to air way down to 9-10 psi if the trail is rocky. For just dirt roads, can usually get by with +/- 20 psi, and I might go up to 50-55 on pavement that way. Sort of depends on your tires too - harder sidewalls need to be aired down more to get flex.

A gray area IMO. They goal is to keep your tires from overheating and breaking down. With that said your aired down pressure, vehicle weight, type of tires and size, speed, and ambient outside temp all play a roll. I try to keep speed at 35mph or below when aired down and a little faster on hard packed dirt roads. After a lot of years of driving on aired down tires on pavement I have yet to have a tire failure of any kind. YMMV

My Stauns are set at 14PSI

Last edited:
I agree with @LandCruiserPhil on this one, its a real gray area. I know this last trip I drove about 20 miles of windy highway on maybe 20psi because I didn't feel like taking the time to air all the way back up just to come down again at our destination. I was comfortable with this because I have done it several times before. The ride is a bit marshmallowy when hitting dips and cornering. I have also driven on pavement for shorter sections as low as 10-12psi but wouldn't do that for much more than a few miles. If your running an e-rated tire then setting them between 15-20 psi should be fine for mixed dirt roads and pavement.

Just drive a little faster and those washboards will smooth out :hillbilly: :steer:

I would not drive around for extended periods on the highway, with aired down tires. Accelerated and abnormal tread wear, sidewall degradation, etc.

I have a crappy portable air compressor from walmart, airing back up takes for ever! I regularly drive highway speeds aired down to 15-20psi for about 45 miles. It is "marshmallowy". And im sure it will shorten the life of my tires. Ill eventually pony up for a quality air compressor. I also air down for extended driving on dirt roads, purely for ride quality.

Why would you air down for dirt roads?

I have heard it is easier on your tires and provides a better ride on washboard roads. However, I've never done it.

Ride quality. Smooths out the jarring annoyance of washboard/random rocks. If it's only a few miles, or a nice, graded dirt road, I might not bother to air down.

I'll drive pavement on aired down tires for a few miles (20?) if I know there's a handy gas station somewhat nearby. The ride, as said, is certainly "marshmallowy".

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom