How does a GX470 compare to an FZJ80 in terms of off-road capability and durability? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lately I've been toying with the idea of eventually getting a 120 series Prado as they don't seem to have as much of the "nostalgia tax" as an 80 series Land Cruiser and as far as I can see offer an ideal mix of modern comforts and old-school toughness (body on frame, manual lever for x-case, etc.)

However, how much of a detriment off-road (if at all) is the IFS of the UZJ120 compared to the older solid axle?

I'd appreciate any insights from those who have owned and/or wheeled both on how they'd stack up against each other on the trail, given the same amount of locked axles, mods, tires, etc.

Thanks.

Off road 80 are better at articulation but they don't come with ATRAC yet. GX470 would be more capable compared to open diff 80 series in certain condition. Triple locked 80 series would be a monster off road. Plus the front and rear 9.5" diff are a lot stronger than 8" diff in the GX.

I cannot stand driving 80 series on the road. The 4.5 inline 6 are very weak.

Last edited:
A GX is very similar to a 4th and 5th Gen T4R. The wheelbase and most of the suspension is shared between the GX and T4R and didn't change much in function and overall design between the 120 and 150 platform. So that should provide some additional comparison

With (IFS) Independant Front Suspension and 2UZ the GX is more similar to the 100 Series Cruiser.

Those that Wheel know the Solid Front Axle of the 80 is Slightly More Capable. Others will Argue it doesn't matter.

The 80 had option of 3 Locking Diffs - Front, Center, Rear where the GX had Center.

The 80 is a Dog even with the 1FZ-FE - the 2UZ in GX is Superior IMHO for Power.

I owned an 80 series (3x locked) for 6 years. I now own a GX470.

For me, they are actually pretty similar. About the same size interior wise. The powertrains feel similar (very smooth), though the 2uz is superior in sound and power delivery seat-of-the-pants wide. Tooling around my place (about 5 acres and hilly) they feel the same. I rarely actually needed any lockers on the 80. It was never really in any spot where it would "need" lockers. I occasionally would just engage them because they were there.

With the GX I haven't been like "if only I had that solid axle...." or "well that wouldn't have happened if I had front and rear lockers...."

I don't offroad as much as I used to, and that is the primary reason I sold my 80 and bought my GX. For 99% of what I use(d) it for, the on-road manners outweigh off road capability. They both do both on and off road fine, which is why the 80 series is really seen as that bridge between hardcore offroader and daily.

As far as your original question is concerned, IFS is not as robust as the solid axle of the 80 series. CV axles encased in the birfield joint on the solid axle will not be exposed to dangerous rocks like cv axles encased in CV boots. However, swapping a CV axle if you rip a boot is arguably easier than doing a teardown of one side the solid axle to replace a shot bearing, wiper seal, or inner axle seal.

To me, the benefit of offroad "reliability " did not outweigh ease of repair and negligible loss of said reliability by stepping down to an IFS 120 series. You and many others may feel differently.

I miss my 80 series at times (the look of a lifted 80 series is hard to beat...), but the 120 looks have grown on me. And every time I climb into it, I put my drink into a factory cupholder, turn on my factory heated seat, and my automatic wipers keep the windshield clear...call me a softie. But for me it was a step up.

Another benefit of the GX is the 6,500# tow rating. We tow our 4K# loaded camper with ours and it honestly does great.

Durability they about the Same.
Both Come out of Tahara plant and if Cared for they are as Reliable as they get.
Way Beyond any Jeep or Rover.

Offroad Depends.

Rocks will Rip the Runner Boards Right off the GX.

The 80 is a Straight Beast Off Road.

I'll be Honest - I have had mine off Road a Few times and never Needed the Locker.
I use the Winch for Loading Trailers and Pulling Bushes, Never Pulled the 80 out with it.

The GX is way more comfortable and it can Accelerate - way better around town and on highway.

I think we are Splitting Hairs here.

They Both Suck on Mileage - Teens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom