How do you find a quality dog breeder? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
In the future I will be looking for a choc lab puppy, and I want to find the best quality dog available. I would like a dog of "English" stock. So what are some tips of finding a good quality breeder, and avoiding a "puppy mill"? Does anyone know of quality breeders on the east coast? What should I expect to pay for a quality dog? Any and all help would be great.

Thanks,
Zack

My friend has an intact 6 y/o male chocolate lab, great disposition, came over with him from the Midlands.

What's your offer for a bag of sperm in a fedEx envelope?

I got nothing for for labs in particular except watch for hip displasia, (SP?)

If you want to stay away from inbreeding stay away from show lines, that often means going to what a show breeder would call a "puppy mill".

Those breeding show dogs are breeding for a type/look, many do "line breeding" (inbreeding) to get/maintain that look along with this comes genetic problems. once the look is achieved and the dog becomes a champion they breed the hell out of this already inbred dog and after a few decades this spirals out of control and ruins a breed.

If you are looking for a pet find someone working on health temperament and intelligence not so much "type"

My brother's choc lab just had puppys. Sorry to say he does not have any for sale. His lab if is from Idaho and has English in the blood line, the sire is block head choc from Colorado. I would suggest contacting the AKC, they may be able to help you out. Also, I have found that people who breed labs for hunting are more picky about who they breed with. Choc labs usually are better than yellow or black due to the fact that they are so anal about the choc labs involved with breeding are factored chocolate w/out any yellow or lab in the mix for at least two generations. Those that breed hunting dogs will often make sure that the dame or sire have been checked for hip displasia. If you'd like I can try and get you in touch with the lady he sired through in Denver.

Go get a dog from the rescue. Unless you need one for hunting, there is no need to spend over $100 on getting a dog.

Go get a dog from the rescue. Unless you need one for hunting, there is no need to spend over $100 on getting a dog.

That's not what he asked.

Contacting the AKC is a good idea. You also want a "hunter" and not a show dog line. Hunters tend not to have the hip problems and are, in my experience, brighter.

I hear Eric's got an inside line on some nice pups. Just a thought.

I tried to adopt a dog years ago and was told that since it would be home all day (like very dog I own or have owned) then I was an unfit home. As long as the wife and I both work, I guess "rescue" is out of the question.

I'll be looking for a choc lab in the spring, family companion, not a hunter, prefer English as I want a smaller, blockier dog. I'll let you know what I find. Our Lab/Golden mix is 10 and we'd like to start prepping the next generation for when the golden girl eventually passes on. :(

Right now I'm leaning towards these guys but haven't started making visits to breeders yet. Pritchett's Labs

Last edited:
I've found a good breeder for coyote/wolf mixes on the Navajo rez.

That's not what he asked.

Contacting the AKC is a good idea. You also want a "hunter" and not a show dog line. Hunters tend not to have the hip problems and are, in my experience, brighter.

True. That is not what he asked but "a good dog breeder" is an oxymoron.

I think Saint60 breeds hunting labs (or he has in the past). You might try sending him a PM. He might at least have some recommendations for you.

No, it's not an oxymoron at all. I have known many ethical, deliberate, expert dog breeders who have contributed to the integrity and well-being of a number of breeds.

Release the hounds!

I am a cooperative person by nature.

I do so hate the W.T. breeders though that sell the poor inbred dogs at flea markets. (no pun intended).

Unless you really need a working dog bred to do a specific task, rescuing a dog from a pound or the spca is best thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom