How do you dispose of used oil filters? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I change the oil filter regularly on my 4wd (and my cars) but as I'm not a workshop I don't have any sort of organised scheme for disposal and possible recycling. I usually drain oil from old filter, put old filter on box the new one came in, and put it in the regular rubbish bin.

Is that was everyone else does who isn't a commercial repairer or service outlet?

no one want's to admit! Humans are the greatest ferals on the planet, we are very dirty indeed.

I have seen commercial workshops pour used coolant into the curbside rain drains, commercial kitchens doing the same with used cooking oil, then the rats drown when they block up the same drains en masse. Google up pictures of used car tyre mountains!

Used engine oil can be recycled but only worthwhile at a large scale. I take the used oil to supercheap, but yes chuck the used filter to hard waste landfill, or burn stuff down at the bushblock, all steel eventually rusts away.

But I argue during the 'green wash', 'PLEASE' build it too last, make it quality, not this throw away cr@p. The new led globes the gov gave us don't last 3 months, quality replacements are 11x the price of the old globes..the cheap green ones don't last an hour. Is that green?

They don't talk at the disposable green manufacturing emissions.

Meanwhile they log my forest like no tomorrow like hungry, greedy monsters to build disposable houses and bs kitchens..no one sees it in the city or at the mono-culture mall.

Rant, sigh, sorry, we have to try in anyway we can whilst we try to live. Want less, use less , preserve. I protect my bit of forest, koalas love it, but geez the surrounding bush is being hammered as we speak.

I was reading a guitar makers forum feeling guilty they use wood to make guitars, bless their gentle souls. There are bigger powers which really do not care. But yes we gotta try.

song, flight of the conchords, 'business time'

I throw mine in the closest creek or river.

Kidding. Most cities have recycling centers for this sort of thing. They take the oil too. Just do a search for closest one to you.

4A036688-57DE-40E7-B1FA-8A380266EFD9.jpeg

I usually take the oil to the local landfill, they have a place to recycle it. The old filters go into the shop garbage in the summer, and into the wood stove in the winter. One filter makes quite a bit of heat! I've been wanting to hook up a waste oil heating unit in the shop for a while now, it would be a lot cheaper than anything else.

I work next door to what used to be the old Lockheed, Skunkworks, McDonald Douglas, aerospace plants. During the 90s, I would stand on the roof and watch as EPA and their contractors dig up millions of cubic meters of top dirt and cart it away because thru the 60s, the old plants would dispose of their chemical waste in large open pits and let it percolate.

There's a Home Depot and Costco and Public Storage on the site now.

That whole superfund site, to this day, is ringed with monitoring stations where a crew comes once or twice a year to measure the expansion of the underground contamination plume .

This is on the Burbank/North Hollywood boarder.

Last edited:
On the farm when I was a kid we poured all the used tractor and truck oil on the driveway to keep the dust and weeds down. How times have changed, haha.

My grandfather did the same, and the "floor" in his garage was the same. Oiled dirt.

I think most rubbish dumps in Australia would have facilities to recycle oils at no charge, provided it's in quantities in line with private use, not disposing for a commercial workshop.
While you're there, throw your old filter on the scrap steel bins

Every auto parts store in the States accepts used oil for disposal. Most auto repairs shops will accept it as well. Depending on oil prices, recyclers then pay them for this waste for reuse.

Regarding the oil filter, most state regulations require draining the oil filter upside down for 48hrs and then normal disposal in the trash. Only a few states require crushing and draining them.

Here we have what we call an "ECO Center" where all types of "non-domestic" garbage can be disposed of. Oil, paint, tires, batteries, air conditioning, construction waste (if you renovate your house), metal, brick and cement, refrigerator, old propane tank, ...

It is intended for citizens (not for contractors or companies) and is financed by the municipalities.

It would be very unfortunate if each of us did NOT have access to such a service.

Here we have what we call an "ECO Center" where all types of "non-domestic" garbage can be disposed of. Oil, paint, tires, batteries, air conditioning, construction waste (if you renovate your house), metal, brick and cement, refrigerator, old propane tank, ...

It is intended for citizens (not for contractors or companies) and is financed by the municipalities.

It would be very unfortunate if each of us did NOT have access to such a service.

The closest land fill waste disposal site to me (services a huge portion of Sydney) charges $425/tonne for general waste.
$235/ tonne for brick or concrete rubble
$75/used bed mattress, so hundreds get dumped in the bush.
Asbestos or glass or mineral fibre insulation is all hazardous water and needs to be wrapped and sealed in plastic. Disposal booked in advance, and cost something like $2000/tonne. So it also ends up dumped in the bush.
Green garden waste is around $300/ tonne and it gets recycled as a value added by-product as mulches and fertilizers, plant potting mixes etc

Oils, steel, glass, appliances, electronics, basically anything with a recycled value can be dumped for free.

This is run by a private business, not by the city. The company running it has a total monopoly on water management in many areas.

Smaller local government areas (counties) will manage these facilities and costs are a lot lower

A lot of the costs are due to compliance costs with EPA regulations

flip it upside down after u drained all u can into ur drain pan and knock a few holes into the top side so all the oil can drain out of the filter, usually leave it to drain a few days and then u can throw it away in the trash or recycle it with u scrap metal.

@mudgudgeon We do have an annual volume limit per home address but a normal household should not exceed it. Otherwise, only if they undertake major renovations to the residence.

I imagine that in some regions, this is the way to make citizens aware of the real cost of waste management as we live in a world where consumption is strongly encouraged.

And unfortunately, many will dispose of their garbage in inappropriate places

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom