How changes in weather affect your gas tank -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been reading lately that changes in weather (that we're having in CT, BTW), going from warm to cold, cause condensate in the gas tank, which will settle at the bottom of the tank and eventually hasten its rusting. I realize that keeping a full-tank of gas is good preventative to this, but with our 80s, this would mean a daily trip to the gas station... :doh:

Does any one know of a decent additive to get rid of water in the tank, or is there a better procedure available? I know this is also being discussed in the chit-chat board, but was curious if there are any 80-specific points I should know --

THANKS!

eric :D

Eric,
Luckily, at least on a 97, Toyota provides a drain plug in the tank. At least twice a year I crack this open and drain the junk off the bottom of the tank. Usually, I try to run the tank way down when I do this and also let it sit for a good while. I run it down in case I have trouble getting the plug to seal when I retighten and need a new washer etc.
As far as additives I try to avoid the ones with methanol and use ones with isoprosol alcohol or ethanol. I have also dumped Methal Hydrate in the tank occasionally. Just my personal preferences.
Bill

[quote author=Photoman link=board=2;threadid=6077;start=msg48642#msg48642 date=1065623330]
Eric,
Luckily, at least on a 97, Toyota provides a drain plug in the tank. At least twice a year I crack this open and drain the junk off the bottom of the tank. Usually, I try to run the tank way down when I do this and also let it sit for a good while. I run it down in case I have trouble getting the plug to seal when I retighten and need a new washer etc.
As far as additives I try to avoid the ones with methanol and use ones with isoprosol alcohol or ethanol. I have also dumped Methal Hydrate in the tank occasionally. Just my personal preferences.
Bill
[/quote]

Thanks for this, Bill!! Now if I could only get that washer P/N for a '94...... ::)

In NO case should you use a 90430-12245 :flipoff2:

:beer:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6077;start=msg48646#msg48646 date=1065623995]
In NO case should you use a 90430-12245 :flipoff2:

:beer:
[/quote]

I'm in -- I just left you a v-mail -- :)

We Canadians religiously put in about 100 ml of methyl hydrate into a tank at the beginning of winter and periodically throughout winter. All gas stations up here have the little bottles out on the counter starting about now. This keeps any moisture in the gas from freezing in the fuel pump. This is most common in humid parts of Canada or when it is warm and raining and changes to cold and snow, in a time period of a few hours. Modern fuel injected engines seem less prone to this problem. On an old 74 valiant slant six and a 79 chev 3/4 ton I had, if I forgot to add the methyl hydrate I was guaranteed to have to remove the fuel pump and take it inside to thaw out at the first cold snap.
Sean

In NO case should you use a 90430-12245

Hey C-Dan, I have NO tank so can I use the same NO washer?
What about NO dryer?
Bill

Yes, please do....... :rolleyes: Cigarette?

All quality automotive fuels absorb water thanks to the additives put in by the manufacturer. In most cases no additional additives are needed. Just normal driving will use up the mixed gas and water together. Just don't let your truck sit for a long time with a low tank and you will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom