How can I lower my FJ60 I do not need the 4" lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@miguelmgl,
The OP has a shackle reversal in front, this provides an additional 1.5" of lift. And he has a longer shackle in the rear. That's why his lifted 60 looks higher than yours.

You say you want to make yours stiffer and more comfortable...usually these two aspects work at cross purposes. Does your truck sway too much and that's what's making it uncomfortable?

Without hijacking your thread, have you consider airbags over your springs?

Again, I am newbie and not even sure if airbags only work with load in the car.
Well, this is the first 4x4 not stock I own and still a lot of homework to do. I will follow your thread with attention.

You cannot ditch the "leaf" springs and go to airbags on these. The leaf spring is what positions the axle. To go to airbag you would need to build a link system to hold the axle in position, like an 80 series has. For people that determined to change to something on coils or airbags they should actually look at buying an 80 series. Which has a completely better ride than a leaf sprung cruiser.

The shackles are way to big in the pictures from OP. Go back to normal sized ones and the springs you have should work fine.

Not trying to be a jerk, but why would you buy a 60 as a daily driver if you aren't going to ever take it offroad?

Probably because they are awesome.

Not trying to be a jerk, but why would you buy a 60 as a daily driver if you aren't going to ever take it offroad?

Hahaha!! I guess you could ask the same for a lot of different things. :)
Why are some cars capable of more than 200 mph but never go past 80 mph?
Why do people buy running shoes and never go running?
Why do people wear jerseys and don't play any sports?
Why do women wear yoga pants and don't do yoga?
etc...

I am not trying to be a jerk and I am not saying I am not taking the 60 off road, I am just saying realistically speaking it will spend the majority of the time on road as a daily driver and my commute is all paved.
The truck is also being used by my wife to haul our baby around town, so I just want to make is as comfortable as possible for its intended purpose.
Even if I restored the truck back to stock condition, I am sure it would still be a more than capable off road truck.

lol..

Maybe never seeing one of these again is reason enough for many people around here....

Unknown.png

Just had our first baby. And the wife has a 4Runner and I have a taco couldn't imagine butting a kid in a lifted vehicle (all the time). Good luck wish I could help.

@85Ed,
You are probably 10m from my house. Pm me and I can help you out. I have stock shackles hiding in my garage somewhere. Our 4x4 meeting is tonight actually if you want to see what all the 60 / 62's look like from stock to modded.

@85Ed,
You are probably 10m from my house. Pm me and I can help you out. I have stock shackles hiding in my garage somewhere. Our 4x4 meeting is tonight actually if you want to see what all the 60 / 62's look like from stock to modded.

Awesome!! PM'd you.

@lovetoski , @brownbear Sorry, I am from Europe, english is not my main language. I meant to say adding airbags together with the existing suspension...but after what I searched yesterday after my reply they are mainly good for towing.

I use the fj very much like Ed and on top of it in my city we have narrow streets and a roundabout every 350meters (~1/4mile :) ).
With the setup that came with the car, I almost need to stop at the entry of each roundabout otherwise is like the car is going to roll over to the side.

So, please Ed, whatever solution you work for the following weeks share it over this thread. I may also end up adopting a similar one.
(hope to create a similar post with my current measures once possible)

Regards, from Portugal

You cannot ditch the "leaf" springs and go to airbags on these. The leaf spring is what positions the axle. To go to airbag you would need to build a link system to hold the axle in position, like an 80 series has. For people that determined to change to something on coils or airbags they should actually look at buying an 80 series. Which has a completely better ride than a leaf sprung cruiser.

You actually could put in airbags but you'd need to pull all but the top two or three leaves in the pack..... and you may need a anti wrap bar at
that point.

@lovetoski , @brownbear Sorry, I am from Europe, english is not my main language. I meant to say adding airbags together with the existing suspension...but after what I searched yesterday after my reply they are mainly good for towing.

I use the fj very much like Ed and on top of it in my city we have narrow streets and a roundabout every 350meters (~1/4mile :) ).
With the setup that came with the car, I almost need to stop at the entry of each roundabout otherwise is like the car is going to roll over to the side.

So, please Ed, whatever solution you work for the following weeks share it over this thread. I may also end up adopting a similar one.
(hope to create a similar post with my current measures once possible)

Regards, from Portugal

Sure, once I figure out what to do I will update this post.

Just in mentioning, I like the idea of going back to stock. After having a shackle reversal in a former 60, I would just get it removed and go back to stock 100% in the suspension. For no other reason than it is stock.

Nice to see more people bringing these back to more of a stock stance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom