How big of tires... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailcarnage.com
can you fit on a FJ60 with cutting?

It started with trimming the rust which led to bobbing the rear. As I finish welding the bob, I take a step back :whoops: and decide it is best to open the fenders more. Here is where I am at now.

You can see where I have cut the front fender. I am going to go back and open the rear equally.
DSFR_Cut1.jpg
DSFR_Cut2.jpg
DSRR_Cut1.jpg

How are you trail carnage ,
ive just bobbed my 60 ,4 weeks ago took 15 3/4" of the back its great , but i want to open up my front fenders like you but i carnt see what youve done to make them bigger ????
How do you open up the front fenders and what do you do with the inner guard ( wheel well) how do you get that bigger the easiest way ?????

cheers!!

Im gonna say 35s on a stock rig with the fenders trimmed. maybe larger since 33 by 9.5s fit(on a stock rig), might be able to jam a 36 under there.

Well, at LEAST a 33x11.5, 34" swampers would look nice, but I'm not as optimistic as Lowtideride about 35's fitting without rubbing under compression. Sure, they might fit for DD duties, but maybe not trail duty.

Keep us updated with pics man, I love the look of a bobbed 60/62!

Well if 33's fit with out rubbing on a stock rig, then a rig with 1.5 inches removed from the fenders will fit a 36 inch tire. remember you only gain one inch in height for every 2inches up in tire size.

You cannot trim much from the back fender. There is only a lip that is trimmable. Sure you can cut a lot out front but the door in the back blocks it. You can trim as much as you see.

I trimmed the rear of my rig (about 1inch) which aloud for a 2inch jump on tire size.

For the rear, I only removed the 1" lip around the fender well. I have decided tp come back and trim the outer body to the largest diameter of the inner fender well. This will give me another 2" to the top and rear of the axle center. As the axle moves to the rear when stuffed, this will allow a larger tire in compression.

For the front fenders I have cut the outers to meet the largest radius of the inners. I will then lay a stip of material back in to close off the fender well. I am going to try to finish the trimming tonight. I will post an update then. The pics should better explain.

Hey Charger said:
How are you trail carnage ,
ive just bobbed my 60 ,4 weeks ago took 15 3/4" of the back its great , but i want to open up my front fenders like you but i carnt see what youve done to make them bigger ????
How do you open up the front fenders and what do you do with the inner guard ( wheel well) how do you get that bigger the easiest way ?????

cheers!!

majanrk said:
You cannot trim much from the back fender. There is only a lip that is trimmable. Sure you can cut a lot out front but the door in the back blocks it. You can trim as much as you see.

There is actually a lot of material that can be removed from the rear. The majority of it will come from the top and rear of the fender well. I am simply opening the outer fenders to meet the inners.

I figure that I can stuff 36" tires with a shackle lift. For the front, I will have room for 5" of up-travel with a 36" tire on stock suspension. The shackle that I am working on should greatly increase this.

trailcarnage said:
There is actually a lot of material that can be removed from the rear. The majority of it will come from the top and rear of the fender well. I am simply opening the outer fenders to meet the inners.

I figure that I can stuff 36" tires with a shackle lift. For the front, I will have room for 5" of up-travel with a 36" tire on stock suspension. The shackle that I am working on should greatly increase this.

:cheers:
Right on. Good to know. BTW, a lot of the tire rub in the rear will occur on the inside part of the fenderwell. It's a pretty smooth surface, but it does make a lot of noise. I can only imagine that it would be worse with a bigger tire on little lift. I think that a more offset rim will help a lot here.

My plan is to use a healthy wheel offset. That is why I am trying to open the outer fenders as much as possible. After final trimming, I was able ot scalp 3"+ from the rear fenders. My only concern back ther now is the body mount behind the rear tire. I may have to modify it also. We will have to see...

majanrk said:
:cheers:
Right on. Good to know. BTW, a lot of the tire rub in the rear will occur on the inside part of the fenderwell. It's a pretty smooth surface, but it does make a lot of noise. I can only imagine that it would be worse with a bigger tire on little lift. I think that a more offset rim will help a lot here.
DSFR_Cut1-1.jpg
DSRR_Cut1-1.jpg
DSRR_Cut1-2.jpg

CruisinGA said:
You know, Tom, with your fab skills I'm somewhat suprised you didn't spring for a SOA?

i was thinking the same thing, most bobbed 60s i see are SOA as well - take it all the way extreme!

Thank you for the compliment. I must say that a SOA is a bit too easy though. The objective of this project has turned out to be stuffing the largest tire with minimal lift. A 60 by nature is a SUV and a SUV is a top heavy bitch. I want to keep the CG as low as possible while maintaining high ground clearnace. Besides, if I am not happy with these results, a SOA is only days away. The following project ran on the same premis as mine: http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/projects_01.htm keep it low and terrianable.

This is my first time messing with a cruiser. One BIG question that I have is: "Can I run 36" tires with stock gearing?" Logic tells me that it is not possible but my check book tells me otherwise. Any thoughts on this?

CruisinGA said:
You know, Tom, with your fab skills I'm somewhat suprised you didn't spring for a SOA?

trailcarnage said:
Thank you for the compliment. I must say that a SOA is a bit too easy though. The objective of this project has turned out to be stuffing the largest tire with minimal lift. A 60 by nature is a SUV and a SUV is a top heavy bitch. I want to keep the CG as low as possible while maintaining high ground clearnace. Besides, if I am not happy with these results, a SOA is only days away. The following project ran on the same premis as mine: http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/projects_01.htm keep it low and terrianable.

This is my first time messing with a cruiser. One BIG question that I have is: "Can I run 36" tires with stock gearing?" Logic tells me that it is not possible but my check book tells me otherwise. Any thoughts on this?

Possible? Probably.

You won't be happy with it. I run 4.11's with 35's and I don't like it that much off the road. On the road is all good and well.

how did you work around your gas tank? can you post a pic from the back? that looks way good btw

I think it is pushing it also. I hate to toast the clutch because I didn't have the money to re-gear. :doh:

majanrk said:
Possible? Probably.

You won't be happy with it. I run 4.11's with 35's and I don't like it that much off the road. On the road is all good and well.

Gas tank? What gas tank? :confused: Oh, you mean that big piece of steel that I threw in the dumpster? :D

Seriously, I am going to the junk yard to see if I can find something find something that will fit.

vorteced62 said:
how did you work around your gas tank? can you post a pic from the
back? that looks way good btw

My 60 is SOA with stock gears and 36s but I have a h41 AKA "Ausi" transmission. It has a lower first gear. That lower first is sweet and saves my clutch, I still wan to switch to a lower gearing but it works fine for now. You may want to look into this option. I got mine with it so I am not sure o nthe $ it may be moe thatn gears, I am not sure.

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom