How bad would this be...37's + stock gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just ordered a 4" Hell Creek Lift for my 72 and am going to cut the rear and use TJ flares. It will be cut all the way up to the wheel opening. I have a chance to pick up a set of 37x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's for a good price. The only catch is my buddy wants my old 33's and my truck wont be too modified yet. How bad would street driving be with 37's, a strong 1f, stock 3 speed, stock drums all around (I know wheeling would be a no-go). I plan on regearing and adding a locker along with a disc conversion but that is a few months down the road. Would it be unbearable? It is really flat around here.

Slower than you could ever imagine...the first gear on a 3 speed isn't nearly low enough. I would dump in an SM420 and 4.88 gears before putting 37's on. The thing will suck to steer from a dead stop with no PS. The tires will probably be tight in front. With 4" springs, you'll probably still need tube fenders.

In short, I would pass on the 37's for now.

wow -- can't imagine that would be much fun. 1f with 35's and 4.10's is tough. 37's? And no PS? yikes. I don't care how flat it is -- that thing will have as tough time getting out of it's own way

if your not rock crawling stock gears will be good for most wheeling .i run a 2f stock 4 speed ,3 speed t case and the truck goes everywhere its pointed with 38 ground hawgs .it also has good street manners and cruises at 65 or so .i dont have power steering on any of my 40s but if its in the budget its worth it good luck

i probably should add i see you have a 1 f and that hurts a bit .37s are gonna cost you, i ran around for years on 35s with a 3 speed and a 1f, didnt have 4 speeds then so didnt know any better.if you keep the 1f and 3 speed you will need lower gears at least in the axles.do a little more research because every upgrade leads to another upgrade and more money in the long run the 37s wont be a good deal good luck

Thanks everyone. I kinda figured I should upgrade a few things beforehand. I may pick up the tires for later down the road though since they are a good deal.

I drive around in a 40 with 1f 3spd-3spd and 38" tires and 4.10 gears and it is fine around town off road it is just to quick in 4low though. In my opinion run the stock stuff with 37's you'll be fine. I ran the same setup with manual steering and drums all around for 1 season it is doable but you will have big arms and legs after awhile. That all being said I have a sm465 in my garage waiting to go into my 40 when I can find time.

Over a decade ago I ran 38"s on my 40 early '75 2F 4spd but no discs. My wheeling was mostly sand and FS roads but at the time I thought nothing of it? Although I had the 4spd...? I say take a step towards your ultimate goal/ just more motivation right? Are you expecting it to drive like a new heep?:flipoff2:

Over a decade ago I ran 38"s on my 40 early '75 2F 4spd but no discs. My wheeling was mostly sand and FS roads but at the time I thought nothing of it? Although I had the 4spd...? I say take a step towards your ultimate goal/ just more motivation right? Are you expecting it to drive like a new heep?:flipoff2:

I daily drive a 74 Bronco. I am used to the ride. :D I know it would suck but it would be for a few months and like you say it may motivate the other parts to be finished quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom