How bad is the NLA parts situation in 2021? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've read through a good part of the sticky thread on parts being discontinued. It seems pretty bleak from the point of view of someone who has never owned a FZJ80 before. How bad is it really? (Lets say for a 1996 with 400K miles)

Is there a reliable aftermarket solution or workaround for just about everything?

Thanks

Last edited:
For the die hard must have Toyota guys that MUST have OEM it it probably starting to suck but I think OEM and aftermarket is better now than ever as far as I see. I'm glad I did little to nothing to my 80 for so long and didn't screw it up doing stupid shiat. Now I can afford to, I'm all in lol.
I see more threads with new parts going on than ever here lately.
This following link is also encouraging, Considering Toyota is calming they are trying to bring back the 80 as much as possible with the new 300 doesn't suck either, I bet they do this with the 80 at some point. But what do I know. :meh:

Were not in Jeep aftermarket territory but it's getting much better,

I'll be honest here, i haven't really had an issue finding parts. From toyotapartsdeal.com partsouq.com megazip.net and Amaya I haven't had any issues. Wits end supplies alot of high quality aftermarket parts too. They are usually my first choice.

Just offering perspective; all 80s are 25 to 30 years old and were not sold in the volumes F150 and Silverado trucks were. That said they were engineered well and are serviceable. I have not had issues obtaining parts and maintaining Beaulah. If you are of the opinion every part replaced must be a Toyota par; I would say you need to be the type that handles challenges well.
I do not handle that type of challenge well.

For me I utilize quality aftermarket parts (often manufactured by OEM suppliers) and a fair number of Toyota parts.

One example I offer is the brake system. I have replaced the brake booster with a Sieken booster, the rotors with Bosch Quiet Casts, and the pads with Akebono pads. The E=-brake shoes and springs, rubber brake hoses and LSPPV are all Toyota parts. This set up has over 30k miles on it to date and services my daily driving needs.

There is pretty much a "work around" for everything there except the LSPPV. That is a Toyota part and one I need to add to my parts shelf.

Most of the basic parts to keep an 80 running are still available from Toyota, but some parts like factory windshields/glass, body parts, interior parts, lamp assemblies, ECM, cruise control, some hoses,--- those are already disappearing/gone.

Aftermarket spark plug wires, alternators, starters, brake calipers/rotors, distributor cap and rotor, radiators, thermostats and water pumps: those will likely be around for a long time.

Another source is finding good used parts from someone parting out a wrecked 80.

The parts you NEED to have to keep your 80 on the road, still available. Most of them are relatively simple parts, and have a much longer life cycle.

the parts you would LIKE to have, will not be around forever. Interior pieces, basically anything color-coded, windshields, body parts, complex electrical and electro-mechanical bits, will and have gone the way of the dodo bird. Many of these things have work arounds, with varying degrees of compromise. Nothing lasts forever.

I really appreciate all of the good advice. I only care about OEM parts for things that are mechanical and critical to keeping the engine going. However, it seems if the body/interior/electrical parts of what I am looking at is beat up pretty bad, I may be out of luck or have to work harder to find parts.

It's actually amazing how many brand new OEM parts are still available for these rigs. Try getting new parts for an early 90's hatchback and see how you go ;).

There's also a few other things to consider. I'd point out that every part for all these rigs are still available, in wreckers yards all over the world. Toyota discontinuing manufacture of a particular part doesn't truly mean it's "no longer available", it just means you can't order a brand new one in a box with that nice Toyota sticker on it. Many used parts are perfectly serviceable, and you can often find them in very good condition, it's just not as convenient, or ironically, sometimes as cheap, as I've often found it can be cheaper for me to buy a new part than it is to pay for a used one from a wreck, through partsouq at least.

Then there's the aftermarket consideration. Say I can no longer get a new Toyota factory radiator. I'd prefer one, I'd happily pay for one, but at the end of the day, I could get by with a good brand aftermarket radiator. It may make me cry a little inside to fit it, but I'll get over it eventually and learn to live with it. There's also companies and industrious individuals who do/will set out to fill voids of important parts that go NLA, at least in terms of things that wear and would truly put cars off the road if they can't be replaced.

These are things anyone who drives truly classic cars would be familiar with today I'm sure. I've never owned a classic car, but I'm pretty sure if you have some vehicle that was built in the 60's, your first thought when you need a part isn't to try and order new parts directly from the original manufacturer. The 80 series hasn't crossed into that realm yet, but it's edging closer to it bit by bit each day.

I'll also add, I think we're a bit spoiled with all the parts we can order new. When I first got my 80 I was raiding wrecks for parts, since that's just what I was used to doing. The idea of ordering new from Toyota wouldn't have entered my mind, because local dealer prices sucked, and I wouldn't have thought 99% of what I was looking for was still made anyway. It was only when I learned about sites like partsouq and Amayama, which had full searchable parts catalogs, and more importantly, reasonably accurate availability information, that I started my new OEM parts buying addiction. If I'm honest, over half the parts I've bought are probably more vanity purchases than in any way important. I bought a new cover for my fuse box under the hood because I didn't like that the white diagram on the top was starting to fade :D

I agree with nemesis.

The 80 was produced in huge numbers.
They seem to be remaining popular car in every market as there just isn't many alternatives of the same calibre.

There's no shortage of used parts in Australia, and will be that way for a long time.
There also a pretty healthy aftermarket for them, you just need to be selective so you find quality parts.

So with an engine and transmission with 400,000 miles, it seems I should brace myself for a rebuild required at some point in the future. The records shows the head gasket and timing chain was replaced at 200K miles.

It seems I can still get rebuild kits and even a short block if that was necessary for the 1FZ-FE. I imagine finding a *reputable* source for a remanufactured engine or experienced rebuilder could be a crap shoot. I am in North Florida if there's anyone out here in the top half of the state.

So with an engine and transmission with 400,000 miles, it seems I should brace myself for a rebuild required at some point in the future.

There's 3228 pages of 80series tech threads.

In those pages you'll find someone has already been there, done that with probably every problem and every scenario you can think of.

You'll find people who'll tell you if you don't have OEM valve caps on your tires, your head gasket has probably already blown.
You'll find people who'll tell you to put an LS in it tomorrow.
And you'll find people who'll tell you to drive the wheels off it until it stops.

You've asked a 'how long is a piece of string' question.

If it's running well, keep on top of basic maintenance for the engine (oil, filters etc), bring the cooling system up to scratch, then take care of all the other deferred preventative maintenance to keep the whole thing running.
If you work on it yourself, that'll see you a couple of years and couple of grand further down the road. By then, you'll either love it or hate it and deciding what to do when the engine gives up will be easier.

You'll find people who'll tell you if you don't have OEM valve caps on your tires, your head gasket has probably already blown.
You'll find people who'll tell you to put an LS in it tomorrow.
And you'll find people who'll tell you to drive the wheels off it until it stops.

Hilarious!

Point taken. I own another car going on 40 years old now and the engine is such an oddball I will be screwed when/if the motor is in serious trouble. Sounds 1FZ-FE won't have that problem for the foreseeable future.

I am in the camp of just getting it down the road without doing anything stupid.

Thanks

I may have fried my brain looking at the "ultimate parts discontinued" thread too much...

But it seems you can actually still buy a new short block (11400-66041) from Toyota and even a new head (11401-69535) if the old one could not be rebuilt or the heat cycle differences was a major issue. I haven't figured out what internal parts might be missing (compared to a long block) but that is pretty cool for 25+ year old truck.

Oddly enough, the parts cost is only about $3K more than a reman I found, where you worry if you have OEM internals and a good rebuilder. Don't get me wrong: it's all really expensive unless you got a really good deal on the LC and I found a lead for a quality shop for a rebuilt head with a new short block.

If this is all even semi-correct, it makes my thread mostly pointless. It just took me a few days to figure it out. Appreciate all of the good advice given here.

I may have fried my brain looking at the "ultimate parts discontinued" thread too much...

But it seems you can actually still buy a new short block (11400-66041) from Toyota and even a new head (11401-69535) if the old one could not be rebuilt or the heat cycle differences was a major issue. I haven't figured out what internal parts might be missing (compared to a long block) but that is pretty cool for 25+ year old truck.

Oddly enough, the parts cost is only about $3K more than a reman I found, where you worry if you have OEM internals and a good rebuilder. Don't get me wrong: it's all really expensive unless you got a really good deal on the LC and I found a lead for a quality shop for a rebuilt head with a new short block.

If this is all even semi-correct, it makes my thread mostly pointless. It just took me a few days to figure it out. Appreciate all of the good advice given here.
Just always keep about $15K around for "emergencies."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom