How about this deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a 1996 LX450, Lockers, all the basics.... Anyway, this is what I'd like to know, it has 111,000 miles on it. The man bought it for his wife 5 years ago as an off lease deal with 40k on it. He said it the computer it showed that it had a new head? Why would a I6 need a new head with such low miles? Also, he just re-did the whole cooling system and spent $3,000 replacing any seal/gasket he could. Seems like a really anal guy but I wonder about the head for sure.

I think I could pick it up for $13,500 so what do you all think?

Hmmmmmmm

Wow, it's definitely worth pressing on and having it checked out by Lexus or Toyota Dealer. I believe they have a flat fee diagnostic check and look-see service for used buyers. That said, a HUGE flag goes off in my head with that kind of work being done so early in the vehicles life...with such low miles. Have this guy agree to pay for diagnostic - state your "pre-mature" concern...it's not like you're buying a Hummer or Jeep :D

I would clarify with the seller...a new head...or a new head gasket? Of course being a leased truck it wouldn't surprise me in that 40K when he got it if the oil had never been changed...or the coolant checked...or anything for that matter. People who lease vehicles don't care about the maintence. I would be extra cautious on this one.

Okay, I think you may be right... He mentioned he had the whole cooling system re-done so I assumed maybe it had been overheated by some yuppy 40 year old realtor that left her car running for 6 hours talking about a $1m house or something. It's just been tough for me because finding one with lockers that I can afford is getting to be very hard! I could do $15,000 but over that and I start having troubles with the money (or lack of).

I think I'll pass, if anybody is in the bay area let me know and I'll get you the info.

I didn't say pass..I said be careful. If all the work was done by a dealership or reputable shop (possibly with a transferable warrant) I would still proceed...but I would be asking alot of questions.

TX_TLC said:
I didn't say pass..I said be careful. If all the work was done by a dealership or reputable shop (possibly with a transferable warrant) I would still proceed...but I would be asking alot of questions.

I agree - if done right, this is how you get excellent deals on trucks like this - it's what you know and understand about the rig. Stay on it.

Check the documentation on when and what was done by whom. Do a Carfax check on the truck. If you can get me the vin I will run the carfax report for you. This one has red flags all over it for me. Unless I got a real deal I would keep looking.

Do a search on cars.com and you will find alot of options. I found my truck in Boston. It has 90k fully loaded with lockers very clean and I got it for $11,500. My upper limit was $15k also and there were alot of options. The really clean low mile rigs get snapped up quick, two were bought out from under me at full price $14k with 30k more miles.

Good Luck,

Fly Rod

Fly, what did you get for that price when? The market is insane! I mean, how many people have that kinda cash to spend? You would think pickings would be easy. I don't know, I mean the market is odd for sure. Look at ebay! One out of every ten of these has somebody willing to pay what somebody is willing to sell for, the other 9 are just eBay fees in the wind! I'm just going to keep on treking I guess trying to find a seller and car I'm comfortable with at the same time..

What exactly are you looking for? I'm in Phoenix and have a 93 w/lockers I might consider selling for $10k. It has < 125k miles on it.

sonoranfun,

The rig I bought, as stated before, has 90k miles is a two owner rig, lockers, leather interior in great shape, faux wood, third row seating, exterior is also in excellent shape. I had an unusual buying experience. I called the dealer on a Sunday to check milage. I got the sales manage and told him I was looking for a bomb proof truck because I guide fly fishing and hunting and can't have a rig break down in the "wild." He went off, he is a fisherman and we ended up talking about fishing. I had my brother inlaw check out the truck. He gave it thumbs up so called back and offered $12k asking was $14k. The sales manager countered with $11,500 if I would take him fishing when he came out! Good deal for both of us. I wish all dealers would treat us like people instead of marks!

Two other rigs I consided were bought out from under me. The nicest was a collectors edition with lockers and loaded as above with 128k miles. I had it going to a mechanic on Monday and someone payed full price, $13,900, Sunday night. Ce La Vie.

I won't buy a truck until I have had a mechanic check it out. If someone buys it out from under me, I'm on to the next one.

Fly Rod

Be patient. I would look for a truck with no "history". They are out there. My buddy just bought a '96 LX 450, lockers, just under 100k mi. and really, really clean. He paid $13.5 for it.

Keep looking. Gas prices are high and it seems Cruisers are getting cheaper as a result. Don't settle for "almost" what you want. Find something that is "The Truck". You'll be far happier in the long run.

Best of luck,

R.

if it's a head gasket I would do a compression test but if it comes up clean I would not worry. The truck has 70,000 miles since that work was done. If the head gasket failure had done any internal engine damage you would know by now.

Technically if the truck over heated and the head warped from it out of the flatness spec then the head should be replaced and NOT machined.

There has been a couple of failures earley on in a trucks life and if a dealer did the work and followed Toyota's recommendation then the head would have been replaced.

Having the head replaced isn't a sign of a really bad failure,but just having the repair done by the book.

Lars, I'm looking for a nice clean 96/7 LX450 with the lockers. I know there are deals out there but it seems like all I find are pressing the $16,000 mark and that's pushing it for me. I mean, how many people out there have cash to spend and want to buy a 9 year old SUV that get worse milage then a Suburban?

I will keep looking, this guy is thinking about taking it in to Lexus so I'll see what he says. I have a few nice ones in the pot and I'm not going to settle so much as I won't get a killer deal. I think $14k is fair to pay for what I want but how long do I wanna look to save $1,500-$2,000?

Well, I guess that's a nice project pig or roof rack and lift, so maybe I should hold out for that perfect deal!

Thanks for all the help guys! It's tough holding out when I can feel how nice it'll be to drive!

I looked (everyday) for a year before I found mine. My advice, get a cylinder leak down test performed on any vehicle with over 100k on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom