Houston, I think we have a problem! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1993 with a 114K on the clock and the other day the CE light came on while driving. The light stayed on for about a mile and then went off, everything else was normal. Did the paper clip thing today and pulled codes 83 84 85 and from what I can tell this is going to be a $$$ kinda problem :-[ Can anyone shed any light on this while I wait for my FSM to come? Any ideas what triggered the codes? The truck runs great, gets 16-17mpg all the time. The only problem I have found is that sometimes at a traffic light it will idle a tad low, ~400rpm, but that is only on occasion....

Thanks

Steve

I'll bet one LC oil filter that your low idle will be cured by cleaning the throttle body and valve assuming everything else is in proper tune. Also, ours also randomly pops a CE light for a minute or so - happens every couple months and turns itself off. I've never bothered to check the codes, but the FSM will have them and I'll check them for you if nobody else does today.

IdahoDoug

Houston, I think Steve has a problem! :D. What part of Houston are you at? Do you know of any good shop that specializes in Landcruisers in our area? Good luck to you..

Beowulf-saw that post when I was searching for some info, I cringed :-[

I'd just like to figure out what the codes mean, or is it just some sort of communication problem on the ecu side of things?

Thanks

Steve,
I would clear the code (pull the EFI fuse,) and keep going. If it comes on again then start researching.

In the meantime, send your VIN to C-Dan to see if your truck was covered under the O2 sensor replacement campaign. If it is eligible and they have not been replaced by Toyota then you may be able to get new 02 sensors courtesy of Mr. T.

(IIRC, this campaign only applied to 93 & 94 models.)

-B-

Well,

Your ECU will need to be replaced. Currently you have an 89661-60170 and it will need to be replaced with an 89661-60221.
Expect to spend over a Grand. :eek:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6465;start=msg52420#msg52420 date=1066533324]
Well,

Your ECU will need to be replaced. Currently you have an 89661-60170 and it will need to be replaced with an 89661-60221.
Expect to spend over a Grand. :eek:
[/quote]
Is that some sort of cruel joke that parts geeks play on unsuspecting customers or are you serious? :eek:

Serious.

This affects 93's only. The new ECU has different programming.

Cdan,

Where is the ECU, and where can I find the P/N on it?

IdahoDoug

cruiserdan- what exactly is the defect in this '93 ECU?

The engine ECU lives directly above the glove box. It is a silver metal box about 8 x 8 inches and an inch thick. It has a part number tag on one of the flat sides. The performance issue relates to commuication between the engine ECU and the tranmission ECU.
I do not know the specific long them implications of ignoring it.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom