Housing question in the Durham area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys Gary Schmauch here from PA. My youngest daughter, currently living in Richmond, is seriously considering taking a job in the Durham NC area. It's On Englert Drive. Looking to see what kind of area the plant is in and especially interested in what housing accommodations (preferably a townhouse) that any of the you guys might recommend. Her monthly housing budget will be somewhere in the $1200-1300 range and she'd prefer something with a garage. Hoping to find something in a decent neighborhood with a manageable commute to work. Any information you might provide will be highly appreciated, as I know very little about the area. Thanks in advance for any input!!!!!

Hi guys Gary Schmauch here from PA. My youngest daughter, currently living in Richmond, is seriously considering taking a job in the Durham NC area. It's On Englert Drive. Looking to see what kind of area the plant is in and especially interested in what housing accommodations (preferably a townhouse) that any of the you guys might recommend. Her monthly housing budget will be somewhere in the $1200-1300 range and she'd prefer something with a garage. Hoping to find something in a decent neighborhood with a manageable commute to work. Any information you might provide will be highly appreciated, as I know very little about the area. Thanks in advance for any input!!!!!

Hi Gary - I live in Durham and know the area well.

What’s the name of the employer?

I can provide some area recommendations later when I’m in front of my PC...typing a longer message pecking on the iPad is a chore!

Edit - that is a decent location and is super close to where @GLTHFJ60 lives.

Hi Gary - I live in Durham and know the area well.

What’s the name of the employer?

I can provide some area recommendations later when I’m in front of my PC...typing a longer message pecking on the iPad is a chore!

Edit - that is a decent location and is super close to where @GLTHFJ60 lives.
Jon- the company is Bioagilytix. Thanks!

Hey Gary! That business is maybe 1.5 miles from my house :lol: I live off of Sedwick Road just west of there.

There are some apartments that are spitting distance from there on S Aliston Ave that look decent. I drive by them often.

Is your daughter looking to buy or rent? Tons and tons of townhouses are being built in South Durham (the area we're talking about) and some of them start around low-mid 200s.

Buy vs rent is the big differentiator. Let us know, we can help locate stuff, and even drive by/tour places for you/her if needed.

Like Johnny mentioned, there are lots of apartments in the area close to your daughter's new employer. Some have the option of renting a detached garage.

The area of her new job allows for lots of flexibility on where she decides to live. She could look for something in west Cary, northwest Morrisville or the north Apex area and still not have much of a commute. There is also the option of the Brier Creek area of east Durham / west Raleigh or the northern portion of Chapel Hill / south western section of Durham. All of these areas would be a typical easy commute (15 mins or so) aside from the random interstate accident/backup.

My brother in-law just accepted a position at a solar farm company super close to your daughter's new work spot...so he and his wife are just starting their search for a place. I think they plan to rent as his start date is in a week or two...I can update this thread based on what positive or negative feedback they share during their search.

Hit me with other specific questions.

Heading to Durham Monday morning, Jenna has an interview starting at 11:30. Staying at the LaQuinta on Durham Chapel Hill Blvd. for the night and on Tuesday we're looking at several apartments and townhouses she has been eyeballing. Stay tuned! Any recommendations for a good place to eat in the area for Monday night?

Damn, I'll be out of town, or else I'd offer to take you somewhere.

Preferences on food? Thai Lanna is really good, we've been having our monthly meetings at Backyard Bistro in Raleigh which is really good. Best BBQ around is backyard bbq pit, shiki sushi is excellent.

Town Hall Burger and beer near Southpoint Mall is a good spot.

If you want to hit up a lunch spot near your duaghters new job, I am a huge fan of Sara’s Empanadas. Chicken and cheese and broccoli cheese with 1/2 rice 1/2 beans...delicious!

Another good Thai place...Bangkok 54 and Thai 55 are both good. The potstickers with red curry sauce at Thai 55 are like candy!

Downtown Durham has always treated me well for food but I’ve been absent for about two years now so I’ll defer to the locals. I do like Backyard Bistro. Mention Johnny C’s name to Laura if she’s behind the bar. He carries some pull with her.

You are just West of Guglhupf and Nanataco if you need a quick bite.

Further SE, Love this place:

Get the sour lemon drink to eat with your hot spicy sandwich. :)

Also . . So much good food in downtown Durham, but my favorite is Dain's Place. Share with your daughter:

1. Three Cheese Grilled Cheese
  2. Tomato Soup (just drop #1 in and eat it the whole mess)
  3. Tots - maybe two orders
  4. Hamburger
  5. Beers

Enough about food: Park at the Sara Duke Gardens and walk up the hill to the Duke Chapel. Listen to the organ. Walk back.

Wife and daughter decided on Top of the Hill brewery/restaurant in Chapel Hill. Not bad food but I enjoyed the beer more! Still need to figure on supper tomorrow evening, stay tuned! Thanks for all the input.

Well - if you are willing to come that far West . . . . :)

Lula's across the street is getting great reviews. They only use family recipes, supposedly. Pricing sounds decent.

Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill near Carrboro has been great - I think it still is.

We like Mediterranean Deli a lot in CH - but only when not crowded - too loud and busy in there.

Pizzeria Mercato's chef is a James Beard nominee - haven't ate there yet.

If you want to get out and see thing - come down to Pittsboro and try Postal Fish - great spot - servers are amazing, chef owner is amazing.

We just had guests who ate at the Fearrington Inn - dropped $500 . . . I would say "once in a lifetime," but it was there second time this year.

Brewery Bhavana in Raleigh is the current hot spot for food and beer. There is probably no place in America that is doing both as well as they are, together. Throw in gorgeous flower shop a REALLY interesting book store and pretty neat experience.

The issue is fighting the other 100 people trying to go there at the same time.

Wife and daughter decided on Top of the Hill brewery/restaurant in Chapel Hill. Not bad food but I enjoyed the beer more! Still need to figure on supper tomorrow evening, stay tuned! Thanks for all the input.

Nice views from up there! Wish I was still college aged, lol!

@shmukster Carolina Coffee Shop is a few units down Franklin St from TOH. It's been a convenient dinner favorite of mine for years when working at UNC. Nothing fancy, just good grub and they usually have friendly staff. But honestly, you're surrounded by great options from $ to $$$$ within walking distance of TOH. Well, there's a few losers in there, too; find them yourself.

Head the other direction down Franklin by car to Carrboro (just a mile or two) for many more places.

That said, you were probably only there for the day, right? Somewhere totally different tomorrow? If you have time, listen to @weejub re: Pittsboro. I think he owns that town now. Drop the 'Jamie at the Rosemary House' name, at any of the VERY respectable restaurants...they'll take care of you. Just don't eat BBQ at the old crematorium...Yet. There might be plans for that place coming up before long...

Plus, do NOT forget about @GLTHFJ60 's suggestion of Backyard Bistro in Raleigh. It's really not too far from CH. Ask if Laura is working, then drop Johnny's name, if she is.

Well we were able to take one recommendation and ate last night at Thai55. Potstickers very good as was everything else. Good service too, was a great place to eat. Looked at a few places to live, too. Found an almost completely detached townhouse in the Breckenridge development that we all liked. Looked at two other houses for rent but one was let today and the other not particularly desirable. Now we wait to see what offer Jen gets from the company to see if a move indeed happens! Hell Durham might be a great place to keep my 40 all year long...…………..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom