Hot temps when crawling (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am not disagreeing with you at all. I think that is a great mod and makes the stock gauge usable. Toyota really blew it with the factory configuration and this fixes that issue. My only thought here was that the gauge reads very hot yet no boil over or A/C kicking off? It just makes me think that in this case, perhaps the gauge is reading high and that another temp reading would help for calibration purposes. It would be nice to know what temp it is at when it gets to the red.
Copied and pasted from the 1st post in this thread:
93-97 Coolant Temperature Gauge Modification

Results

You now have a gauge that will move with all temperature changes within its sensitive range.

Full sweep peg to peg is 94°

Pegged hot 244°
Top of red is 227°
Bottom of red 217°
Center is approximately 189°
Cold line is 160°
Pegged cold 150°

I printed this and have a copy on my sunvisor for reference.

Right, with the RT mod the scale is changed to be more conservative vs the stock gauge. At the top of the red, the A/C will shut off, you won't boil over until the gauge is pegged hot.

I replaced a bad O2 sensor, but it didn't help any with engine temps. I also tried keeping the engine revs higher when crawling--it helped a little but not enough.

So I bought some foam to put around the radiator, 30k cst fan clutch fluid, a 100 series pusher fan, and I am going to clean and straighten out all the fins on the condensor and tranny oil cooler, hopefully that makes a difference.

I replaced a bad O2 sensor, but it didn't help any with engine temps. I also tried keeping the engine revs higher when crawling--it helped a little but not enough.

So I bought some foam to put around the radiator, 30k cst fan clutch fluid, a 100 series pusher fan, and I am going to clean and straighten out all the fins on the condensor and tranny oil cooler, hopefully that makes a difference.
The combination may do the trick for you. It took me quite a while to get used to what the RT modded temp gauge showed me with my OCD (self diagnosed:rolleyes:). When you think about it, for your engine's health, anything between mid range and the bottom of the red is acceptable - depending on circumstances. But I get nervous when it reads above mid range, so I'll try changing what I'm doing to get it to drop. If it won't, like sometimes on the highway pulling my trailer on a tough pass, I know it'll drop back down at the summit and going down the other side, so I'll just endure the nervousness and pray it doesn't climb into the red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom