Horn woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents, while doing a complete power steering rebuild on my 96, I must've turned the free steering wheel a little too much and I heard some popping. After getting the rebuild done I noticed I don't have a horn. I pulled the horn relay and noticed I have 12v volts and a constant ground, the other tab from the horn isn't switching to ground.

I've been reading threads about people using a spent .22 round but in those pictures the column is a little different, so I assume it's for earlier year 80's. I can only find a ring with 3 broken "nips" . Is this the problem? I'm trying to figure out how the horn switches to ground and you'd think I could figure it out... I think the nips push that sleeve they're attached to down a little more grounding out the horn switch to the column but I could be wrong. I appreciate any help thanks.
horn.jpg

Probably, if you turned the wheel too many revolutions it would break that ribbon inside and no more horn.

It’s called a clock spring by the way if you wanna search that term.

Yes that's exactly what happened, I downloaded the FSM and this center spiral cable should be it. Ironically my airbag light is on so I took that out too... Well you live and learn! Thanks.

Yes that's exactly what happened, I downloaded the FSM and this center spiral cable should be it. Ironically my airbag light is on so I took that out too... Well you live and learn! Thanks.

Yeah mine was out when I bought mine a few years ago. Took out horn airbag and cruise. I bought mine off someone who was doing a part out. Should be able to find one used like that pretty cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom