Headlamp Replacement Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the headlamp assembly on my '97. I have not been able to find a good condition used OEM headlamp. If someone knows a source, that would be great. If not, I want the highest quality replacement unit I can get. I know someone is going to chime in about never doing LEDs and I get that. I am fine with either traditional bulbs or LEDs. I just don't want a sub-par Chinese product.

Is there a recombination for a high quality replacement headlamp assembly?

i might, and i mean might, have some headlights but i would only sell them as a pair. they are getting crazy hard to find.

Pretty sure I have nothing for the 95-97, do have a couple of 91-94, but as slow says, they are getting very hard to find.

Let me know after you check. Thanks

Here is what I am struggling with. Is it worth spending $400 to put headlights that are 20-25 years old and the plastic mounting points are brittle with a good chance of them breaking in the next few years vs buying something new production? I know if they are both new the OEM would be way better. I am just wondering if its worth spending that much on a old brittle plastic part.

Many buy DEPO replacements on eBay. They are still shy of $400. I have a pair and the light output is really nice. The housing can be retrofitted to accommodate projectors. Or, you can run them as is. There are lots of threads on these housings. My original housings were in similar condition. I went the DEPO route and couldn't be happier.

Here's a pair in the classified: For Sale - Sacramento - FJ80 - DEPO JDM/EU Headlights - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sacramento-fj80-depo-jdm-eu-headlights.1304604/

I went the DEPO route, the cheaper version can be bought without the electric motors for leveling, the motors can be swapped over if you presently have them, but it is a little bit of faffing about if you have patience and time.

With the dipped beam being poor I just changed up to a set of Philips bulbs, they have a bluish tint and 'seem' to be a little brighter but with no increase of load on the electrics. Pushing for higher wattage bulbs simply shortens the life of the headlamp relays unless you make some mods.

Regards

Dave

If you can not find the OEM assemblies then I can recommend considering Depos with HID projectors you install yourself from The Retrofit Source in the low beam location. This takes some research and work (and $), but the HID projectors provide very functional light for actually seeing at distance with minimal stray light and sharp cut-off on low beam. I am highly critical of the very annoying stray light from most retrofitted LEDs on low beam used by my neighbors, due to incorrect reflectors, etc. I am currently running some higher-end LEDs in the high beam reflector location in the Depos without a projector (if not obvious here, these only come on with high beam). With high beam activated the projector cut-off is mechanically lifted, so both the HID projectors and LEDs provide high beam light. The LEDs in the high beam location work almost instantly for flashing a high beam signal to others; the HIDs take several seconds to come to full power (and thus can not effectively flash a signal if they are not warmed up).

I think the OEM assemblies look better than Depos with projectors on an 80. All: please do not blind your fellow drivers with incompatible bulbs/assemblies. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom