Horn keeps blowing its fuse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Time for a new horn? Or something else?

Does the fuse blow when pressing the horn or just randomly?

There are two horns, located behind the grille. You can try unplugging either one, and hopefully the problem can be narrowed down to one versus the other. If the fuse continues to blow with only horn A and also with only horn B, then there is likely a short somewhere else. But, I'd rule out the individual horns first.

When pressing the horn it blows. Thanks for the tip, I’ll narrow it down like you suggest. I only seem to hear 1 horn anyway so perhaps one is shot and shorted and causing the problem. Time for something louder. 😁

One of the few things I had to fix on my truck after purchase (used) was one of the horns was intermittently failing. No fuses blowing, but alternating two tones or one. Take your pick.

I tested each directly with the battery and figured out which was bad, got the part number off it, plugged a new one in, and good to go.

Horn failures aren’t unprecedented.

I had the same problem. It ended up being a bad horn. There are two horns a high and a low tone. I disconnected one at a time and until I found that it was only one blowing the fuse. I ran with one disconnected for a couple of weeks.
It worked but sounded lame.

I replaced the defective one with a OEM horn.

Replaced both horns with new Hella Trumpet 500 and 400hz and put in a new fuse. Build quality, tone quality and volume are all improved. And they were only $20!
HELLA 012010901 Black 12V BX Trumpet Horn Kit (Toyota) Amazon product ASIN B01EG18SFM

Figured I will resurrect this thread first before posting another Horn thread.

My horn is also blowing the fuse. When I press the steering wheel I can hear the relay click. I can press it repeated and hear it click each time. If I hold it down for more than a moment it will blow the horn fuse.

Here is where it gets a bit odd. When I hit the alarm button the horn works fine.

steps taken so far:

I have swapped out the horn relay.

Tested horn button, confirmed relay is triggered.

I didn’t have much time to test further and my garage was freezing so I will revisit tomorrow. I did disconnect the (I believe low tone?) horn that has a single wire. I assume one has a positive in and positive out to second horn and the other just has a positive in and they are both chassis grounded via the mount? No change in behavior with the single horn connected other than the horn now sounding sad and wimpy.

Any thoughts?!

Figured I will resurrect this thread first before posting another Horn thread.

My horn is also blowing the fuse. When I press the steering wheel I can hear the relay click. I can press it repeated and hear it click each time. If I hold it down for more than a moment it will blow the horn fuse.

Here is where it gets a bit odd. When I hit the alarm button the horn works fine.

steps taken so far:

I have swapped out the horn relay.

Tested horn button, confirmed relay is triggered.

I didn’t have much time to test further and my garage was freezing so I will revisit tomorrow. I did disconnect the (I believe low tone?) horn that has a single wire. I assume one has a positive in and positive out to second horn and the other just has a positive in and they are both chassis grounded via the mount? No change in behavior with the single horn connected other than the horn now sounding sad and wimpy.

Any thoughts?!
I also had this same problem. I went ahead and replaced the horn because I found a cheap deal on Amazon and haven't had an issue since. This was about 2 years ago now or I would recommend what I'm using. That Hella Trumpet I bet would work just fine. Hope it works out for you as easily as for me (and appears the others too)!

I also had this same problem. I went ahead and replaced the horn because I found a cheap deal on Amazon and haven't had an issue since. This was about 2 years ago now or I would recommend what I'm using. That Hella Trumpet I bet would work just fine. Hope it works out for you as easily as for me (and appears the others too)!

It baffles me that it would work with the alarm and not the steering wheel when I assume they are triggering the same relay but hey the Hella Trumpet was only $20 so if that works... awesome problem solved and I get a louder horn too. Will be here Friday, I'll get it installed and post my results.

There's multiple touchpoints to the horn and possibly multiple computers based on my googling. I remember some potential in depth diagnostics that could be done to test something in the steering wheel ( i think was call the clockspring). But since the horns were easy to replace and I found the good deal, I tried the easiest fix first. Hope this works for you too!

There's multiple touchpoints to the horn and possibly multiple computers based on my googling. I remember some potential in depth diagnostics that could be done to test something in the steering wheel ( i think was call the clockspring). But since the horns were easy to replace and I found the good deal, I tried the easiest fix first. Hope this works for you too!

Good to know! Looking forward to hopefully joining the cheap and easy fix crowd! :wrench:

6months later and the Hella’s I posted about above are working great.

Last edited:
TLDR Version: The Hella's fixed my issue!

I am a bit baffled that the stock horns work when powered directly. Work when I set off the alarm. The relay audibly clicks when I press the steering wheel but the horn doesn't make a peep. For whatever reason, installing the Hellas 100% resolved my issue. I don't know that they are any louder than the stock horns, but they do produce more of a constant tone vs the slightly buzzier sound of the stock horns. I guess I should just be happy it was $20 painless fix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom