Hood "wrap" to reduce glare (white '16)? Update/Opinions Requested (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks, Cody.

Came across this shot with a clear view of Cody’s hood wrap from Breckinridge...

50FC019F-661B-448B-8260-8F71DF77EC8F.jpeg

Update: I have contacted Crawlorado (Hood Blackouts), the company @KLF pointed me to. They don't currently have a pattern for a 200-series. They are located in Colorado Springs (less than an hour from my house) so I am going to go there next week so he can do measurements and design something specific to the 2016+ model.

I do need to decide how much of the hood to cover and I would welcome some input. Once the pattern is created, there may be others with 2016+ models that would be interested in the same pattern. For me, the primary purpose is to minimize sun glare off the hood. Here are the options as I see them.
  • Cover the full hood. This is what @Markuson has done though his truck is gray.
  • Cover the inner area of the hood including the raised sections and the area in between. This is what @codyaustin5 did on his (now former) truck. In the picture below, that would be everything inside the red lines. This would cover all of the areas where I have experienced glare.
  • Cover the raised areas but not the shallower area in between. In the picture below that would be everything inside the red lines minus the area inside the yellow lines. This might look more "sporty" but I do sometimes get glare from this inner area.
IMG_0637.jpg

Update: I have contacted Crawlorado (Hood Blackouts), the company @KLF pointed me to. They don't currently have a pattern for a 200-series. They are located in Colorado Springs (less than an hour from my house) so I am going to go there next week so he can do measurements and design something specific to the 2016+ model.

I do need to decide how much of the hood to cover and I would welcome some input. Once the pattern is created, there may be others with 2016+ models that would be interested in the same pattern. For me, the primary purpose is to minimize sun glare off the hood. Here are the options as I see them.
  • Cover the full hood. This is what @Markuson has done though his truck is gray.
  • Cover the inner area of the hood including the raised sections and the area in between. This is what @codyaustin5 did on his (now former) truck. In the picture below, that would be everything inside the red lines. This would cover all of the areas where I have experienced glare.
  • Cover the raised areas but not the shallower area in between. In the picture below that would be everything inside the red lines minus the area inside the yellow lines. This might look more "sporty" but I do sometimes get glare from this inner area.
View attachment 1847471
I can recommend someone in Denver if you need it. Also a good installer has “chalk lines” where they can do any design you want and make it look good. Follow the lines of the hood or whatever you want.

Here’s my full hood...

I initially did it because my skyward paint was beginning to fail. So did full good and full roof:

963463E2-EC57-4309-8617-D0182C76BA59.jpeg
35C94170-E89A-4101-9EA5-0080912AE3B0.jpeg
6423A7B0-ACCA-4BD6-AEA2-CA4B98A4DE4C.jpeg
7722C879-DBEE-463C-B4FE-A2CD7601A373.jpeg

I was just telling someone yesterday that I would like to get another one of these for my 200. I think on a white truck (like mine) it would look the best being the entire area between the red lines. But, does the 3M stuff have enough "flex" and stretch ability to work down on that valley?

I probably don't have the courage to install this myself, would have to pay a body shop, which is what I did for the hood wrap on my mini-truck. They already had the hood in their shop with a fresh coat of paint, so it was an easy thing to just have them do it.

IMG_20131009_183601_773.jpg

View attachment 1847471

IMO I'd go with option 3, assuming the installer can do a quality job. I think number one would look cheap on a white 16+, but I think it looks great on the pre 16 in a dark color. Number 2 would look ok, but it wouldn't look as custom and intentional as number 3. I'll bet you wouldn't notice any glare inside the valley of the hood either.

I can recommend someone in Denver if you need it. Also a good installer has “chalk lines” where they can do any design you want and make it look good. Follow the lines of the hood or whatever you want.

I would be interested in the name of a good installer. I'm in Lafayette and wouldn't mind anyone up near Loveland/Fort Collins either.

I want to do the grill and hood on my LX. Possible a few other bits of chrome.

@mcgaskins, I think I'm going to go with your suggestion, Matt. Option 3. Though I have had occasional glare from "the valley" it is not usually where my eyes are looking. In fact, I find the raised area on the driver's side to be an excellent "guide" for centering my truck on a trail. Covering just the raised area would reinforce/maintain that visual guide. (I know, of course, that what lines up with your eyes depends on your driving position so this is unique to me. I also use the center of the "valley" as a good guide as to where the right front wheel is going to land.

Some have asked if the glare is really an issue. It has been for me on a number of occasions. The worst was with my previous vehicle (LR4) driving Diamondback Gulch near Sedona. I had to climb a steep hill with modest bumps and rocks. "Pink Jeeps" were waiting at the top. They just kept telling me to drive straight up the hill. But I could not see the hill and definitely not the top. Literally. Nothing but blinding sun. And the worst was that it was reflecting off the hood (another vehicle with a high and large hood) right into my eyes. Polarized sunglasses don't do much (the polarization doesn't do anything) for sun reflecting off metal. (I always drive with Maui Jims to help with glare off wet roades, etc.) This summer there were a number of occasions where I was driving early or late in the day on long road trips to/from the west and the sun was directly in front of me. Even when it was high enough for me to use the visor, it would still reflect off of the hood and practically blind me. I am hoping this dull, matte surface will significantly reduce the glare.

@codyaustin5, I'll PM you about your guy in Denver.

Maybe they could do the valley in just clear matte vinyl to make it less reflective. Still white so you get the contrasting look but just not shiny.

3M 180 will last 5+ years without harming your paint and can be heated during install to hit every curve including the valley of the 16+. I just got my clear mask done with no issue on the valley portion.

Did @Markuson really say that he washes his truck (or more accurately - has it washed) TWICE a week? SHAME!!! Nothing makes me sadder than a clean truck, lol.. ;)

Well, maybe some bad pinstripes grooved into the paint... that made me sadder than a clean truck. JK, and $$$ not withstanding, I wish I had clearwrapped the whole rig when I bought it.

Did @Markuson really say that he washes his truck (or more accurately - has it washed) TWICE a week? SHAME!!! Nothing makes me sadder than a clean truck, lol.. ;)

Well, maybe some bad pinstripes grooved into the paint... that made me sadder than a clean truck. JK, and $$$ not withstanding, I wish I had clearwrapped the whole rig when I bought it.

Ha! ;) Ya ya... :cool: You shoulda seen my truck after Baja. Hehe

But ya...muddy driveway bricks suck & tinkering on a crusty truck ain’t fun.

The fine print is...I have unlimited monthly washes at a local car wash. So... git it dirty...git it clean in about 5 minutes on the way home.

Truth be known though...
If it’s not in the dirt, I like to keep it clean.
I’m also known to change my underwear at least twice a week too... :grinpimp::flush:

Hey Matt, ( @ethernectar ) by “clearwrapped” do you mean vinyl? Or that clearcoat stuff?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom