Hood Insulation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stokesignals.agency
My '84 has no hood insulation. My research tells me it wasn't supposed to have any. But since the exhaust system is now complete, I hear the engine, fan, etc. I know. I know... this isn't a little Lexus truck all packed with sound-deadening stuff. I've done the before and after with hood insulation on other trucks. It's pretty significant - and easy... well, when there's a pre-formed mat and bunch of push-in clips.

I might give the FatMat Hoodliner (cut-to-fit kit) a try. Anyone tried the FatMat, Dynamat or another product?

Compared to the stereos in my other cars/trucks, that'd be more like turning it from .6 to 1 - but a new system will find its way in there at some point this year.

But do your other vehicles have a noisy engine with a rattle-ie mechanical valvetrain and mechanical fan?

Could put an E fan in that only kicks on when necessary. Likely pick up a bit more engine cowbell as well.

Hood insulation wouldnt hurt in the noise control department. I havent looked into any of that stuff. I personally enjoy the sound of my 22re clattering away. I also really enjoy the sound of my ford 302 HO motor. Engines and exhaust is just another form of music to me. My old ladys '15 4cyl Honda motor is kind of boring to listen to... too quiet. Has more of a finely tuned sewing machine sound...which is alright too I guess... kinda boring tho, I turn the stereo up instead of down in that case.

Last edited:
My '84 has no hood insulation. My research tells me it wasn't supposed to have any. But since the exhaust system is now complete, I hear the engine, fan, etc. I know. I know... this isn't a little Lexus truck all packed with sound-deadening stuff. I've done the before and after with hood insulation on other trucks. It's pretty significant - and easy... well, when there's a pre-formed mat and bunch of push-in clips.

I might give the FatMat Hoodliner (cut-to-fit kit) a try. Anyone tried the FatMat, Dynamat or another product?
not sure if you have a 22r or 22re but if it's a 22re you may also consider making some sort of engine cover over the fuel injector area as the injectors are the cause of a lot of the noise, especially on the later model (90s)22re.

Nah, it's a 22R. Mostly fan and loud sewing machine sounds.
Thanks though

Last edited:
Insulation will help save that fresh hood paint from summer operating temps/engine heat.

The underside of the hood has all the holes for the push-in fasteners/clips - as if it had or could've had an insulation mat from the factory. But as far as I know, none of the Pickups had these in 1984 - even the SR5. An O.E. mat would be the best option... Oh, I bet they were only offered in Australia ;)

I used a home ventilation insulation material called Frost King from Home Depot. I added it under the hood as well as interior sound and temp insulation. It's a 1ft x 15 ft roll of 1/8" close cell foam, foil faced, with a self stick adhesive backing all for $20 with VA tax. It's called a poor mans Dynamat. Take your time and press it to the contours as you go along. Buy top quality aluminum adhesive tape. Not the cheap ass kind I used with printing on it in these picture as it doesn't stick to the foil face well. The plain thicker stuff does and I used that on the under hood insulation. Cost more but you'll find a use for it elsewhere. You can peel the heat foil off the initial layer to add a second layer if you more noise reduction.

I added it to the interior firewall, trans tunnel (2 layers). Closed-up the shifter lever tunnel hole (a lot of noise comes in there), floor, behind the door panels, and on the back wall. It dampens the metal and does block higher pitch sounds. It make the truck so much quieter. Had a shop press in new rear wheel bearings and the guy who took kit for a post install test ride couldn't stop commenting on quiet that truck was. I was playing the radio and actually heard more details in the music come through.

Give it a shot as the under hood layer I added did help quiet the engine bay noise. Sorry no hood shots as of now but looks similar

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

Last edited:
I just got the Amazon basics dynamat material for this. For around 100 bucks I’m doing the whole cab + doors. I say for this bc all the adhesive around ever structural mating point under the hood has turned into pottery plants foam. In the meantime for coming up with a way to address the hood I’m getting the dynamat stuff Amazon offers w a new carpet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom