Hood adhesive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m sure this is on Mud somewhere I just can’t seem to find it. The hood of my pickup has separated completely from all the adhesive spots that adheres the structure to the hood sheet metal. Whats the process look like to reattach this?

I am not sure what the factory uses but if you clean the areas up and use panel bonding adhesive it would hold that together.

I like it. I’m surprised how little of the stuff was used to actually adhere it.

I have used PL Urethane construction adhesive to reglue hoods.

Get the nasty urethane stuff - don't use solvent-based construction adhesive (basic Liquid Nails). I re-glued my FJ55, FJ60, and FJ62 hoods. I put plenty on, and then half closed the hood on an end-wise 2x4, which applies pressure on the inner hood, forcing it to mate with the outer hood until the adhesive cures. Clean all surfaces with brake cleaner first for good adhesion.

Bonus: Your hood will sound SO much better when you close it, and it won't be so floppity (the technical term).

That’s awesome to hear! My user pic is my fj62 w the same issue. I just don’t drive that enough for it to bug me. What’s the prep you did when glueing it? I can’t tell if it’s just the foam remnants or rust in the spots but I think I should treat it regardless.

I really didn't do much prep. The underside of my hood was clean and non-rusty. You might gently pry apart the inner and outer hood about 1/2" and poke around with a putty knife to see if there is any loose material you can remove. The urethane adhesive has a lot of bite and if you use enough, it will stick forever. Any rust could be pre-treated with a phosphoric acid rust treatment (Naval Jelly) and/or painted.

Sweet. I did some pretty good inspection and looks rust free. Did you do the 2x4 methods a few times close to the adhesive points, or just in the center and it pressed all of them at once?

I just did it once in the center - the weight of the hood closed all the gaps at once - at least close enough. The FJ55 hood was particularly flimsy in this regard.

Cautionary note - a buddy of mine glued an FJ60 hood and weighted it down in places (not sure with what), and the glue pulled the metal in, in a couple of places, leaving visible divots in the hood. So, don't go hog-wild with weight and all sorts of gyrations - just squirt some PL adhesive in there and get the inner and outer hood panels close to each other, let it cure, and call it good.

Sounds good. That’s what I was wondering. My 88 FJ62 has the same problem but I wanted to test out a solution on my pickup first. Thanks for your input!

DFE0C5FA-C3F9-45B0-A507-5C6211E51F31.jpeg

8B48E332-84E2-4B7F-8106-AFF29F633284.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom