Builds Homer's 2003 GX470 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The rear timbren active offroad bumpstops arrived. They measure 5” tall including the metal base.

The stock oem rear bumpstops measure 4” to the valley of the rubber from the metal base.

The 1” difference goes away because the timbren bumpstops compress like 2.75” while the stock oem bumpstops probably compress about 0.75” if that much.

So, I might order some timbren spacers just to reduce the compression difference to protect the shocks from bottoming out.

610BD6C3-730B-404C-8FB3-F43086A35D95.jpeg

5AD6DB5D-2949-4890-9CE9-E78AA743CA2A.jpeg

Oh found a pair of training hockey pucks to use as a 1” spacer. I had purchased these for like $3 each to use inside the rear springs.

This gives me the extra 1” height to close the distance on full compression to prevent the shocks from bottoming out. Now the Timbren plus the hockey puck measure 6” tall. Perfect for my rear setup.

41015285-C900-466D-9DBB-666E1E4EA62B.jpeg

Last edited:
Completed installing the Timbren Active Offroad bump stops for the rear. Disappointed that it includes the inferior Grade 5 big bolt (small bolts are Grade 8). I typically like to get the stronger Grade 8 bolts. And it doesn’t include locktite. For the price, I was expecting all Grade 8 bolts and locktite.

2D3C3A1E-3C29-448B-B858-CDADE12A82CA.jpeg

245B4B04-3A93-457C-98B5-CAB4DE3EFCE6.jpeg

7C60692D-9CFB-4B2A-B152-0D29FA109C69.jpeg

993C9623-431D-4F9A-AD0F-2011D5B5F672.jpeg

Last edited:
Finished installing DuroBumps for the front. This product is made in the USA, includes the stronger Grade 8 bolts, and includes a little bottle of brand name Locktite.

Kudos to DuroBumps for doing it right and their price was very reasonable and lower priced than Timbren and Wheelers.

I highly recommend the DuroBumps for the front at www.DuroBumps.com

77EDCD3E-D325-4C8C-B5E1-E7AE3B7D9E7D.jpeg

Last edited:
EimKeith Panhard Correction Kit (PCK) done. Panhard bar is now level.

2CB6BBD3-3C94-4B07-8565-1421FA401E4E.jpeg

Out for a night of camping in Lytle Creek. Update on recent upgrades.

1. Softer Bumpstops: Durobumps in front and Timbren in rear. New softer bumpstops seem to have softened the suspension on big bumps or dips.
2. Beefier Sway Bar End Links: Just beefier, but can't really feel anything different.
3. PCK: Can't tell the difference, but I rarely ever had issues with my rear pulling to one side.
4. Auxbeam spot lights: Very bright, good design, good price. So far so good. 4800 lumens at 6000K per light.

F6DC3589-79BB-44C9-B487-C92076BDE48D.jpeg

9F283214-6230-48AC-A482-A426EDE5A215.jpeg

ACFF4EC3-CFFC-41DA-9250-867D0E60C5F4.jpeg

2CA81F33-A6C5-42E2-93AC-E0DDE5990E55.jpeg

2EEF124E-CB94-4AFA-9626-AC4274C32C5E.jpeg

Last edited:
If you are looking to get a power station and/or portable solar panels, check these out.

Bluetti power station is lifepo4 which can take about 2500 full charges which is 2.5 times more than the popular power stations. And it’s a good price for bluetti.

Twelseavan solar panel has the solar mc4 connectors which plug directly onto the bluetti power station to charge it.

Also, this solar panel can charge usb devices directly without a power station. This is handy when the power station is over 80% full and it’s charging slowly. You can plug your cell phone or usb gadget to the solar panel directly to take some of the unused energy.

AD1EE9FC-183F-4660-9475-1150BF33C44D.jpeg

1A1BF240-FC03-4BC7-B8CB-81E84EE8C5BB.jpeg

Added a diy communications panel (actually iPhone magnet holders) and got smittybilt 2781 air compressor.

Working on a modification to the air compressor to let me check tire pressure without turning off compressor and without disconnecting from tire.

6BB97768-DCA1-48D7-9139-DDD9BB766F8C.jpeg

059F8894-3A1D-47CB-914F-A683080EE7E9.jpeg

D3A5D5CB-7EF8-423F-8D64-E3CD6202C822.jpeg
0D227E2C-F5D9-4C4C-9479-39CC22A783EC.jpeg

5C608B7B-D532-4BCF-9BE4-38061EB3A2F8.jpeg

Nice!

What are your Plans for the pump?

After watching many YouTube videos on Smittybilt 2781 air compressor modifications, I came to the conclusion that I can do two modifications to reduce the time it takes to air up the tires to the desired psi.

The first mod is quite easy. Just add an air chuck to the end of the Smittybilt hose that attaches to the tire. This makes it much easier and faster to attach the Smittybilt air pressure hose to the tire than having to screw onto the tire the stock hose from the Smittybilt air compressor. I don't know why it didn't come stock with the air chuck, but this was a super easy mod. Just buy the air chuck on Amazon.

The second mod took me a while to figure out. Most videos cut the proprietor Smittybilt quick connectors off the Smittybilt air hoses to add the lockout slide valve pictured in my post. I didn't want to cut any of the stock quick connectors, so I researched those connectors and it turns out they are not proprietary. They are in fact Japanese quick connects. Hardly any air compressors in the USA use the Japanese/Asian standard other than Smittybilt. Everyone else uses the most common "industrial" standard for quick connects.

Anyways, I found Japanese quick connect adaptors to easily install the lockout slide valve. Unfortunately, the valve is backordered two months and it won't get here until mid August 2022. The valve allows me to check the tire's air pressure using the stock Smittybilt gauge without having to disconnect the air chuck from the tire nor having to stop the compressor. Just slide the valve to close/open as needed and I can do that at each tire. No need to do the MORRair kit either.

So, I'll post pictures when the 2 Japanese quick connect adaptors and the usa made lockout slide valve arrive and I can do a quick video on how I attached them and how it allows me to easily check the air pressure.

And if it doesn't work as advertised, then I can use the Japanese quick connect adaptors to switch to the industrial standard quick connect. This will allow me to use all the aftermarket hoses and gauges from ARB, MORRFlate, Flexzilla, and others who use the industrial quick connect standard.

3B967911-F486-46EF-B8F5-34BA87A3D3AB.jpeg

37F15AF6-4F63-4210-9BC2-DD0FE4E34895.jpeg

By the way, I've been focusing on buying a lot of gear recently to be ready to go on a one-week trip down south.

I've converted my 2781 to work on the 1/4" NPT connectors (see my build thread) using a M12x1.00 to NPT adapter screwed right into the head on the compressor, in addition to hard mounting it in the engine bay. I will make a few more changes next weekend to move the QD chuck away from the compressor (as it gets HOT and actually melted my nylon air hose!). It's a nice little compressor and pretty easy to modify. I've already used it for vehicle tires, bike tires (very carefully in short bursts), and blowing up an inflatable kayak.

Mounting it on the engine bay sounds like a good idea. I’ll look at your build thread to see how you did it.

After watching many YouTube videos on Smittybilt 2781 air compressor modifications, I came to the conclusion that I can do two modifications to reduce the time it takes to air up the tires to the desired psi.

The first mod is quite easy. Just add an air chuck to the end of the Smittybilt hose that attaches to the tire. This makes it much easier and faster to attach the Smittybilt air pressure hose to the tire than having to screw onto the tire the stock hose from the Smittybilt air compressor. I don't know why it didn't come stock with the air chuck, but this was a super easy mod. Just buy the air chuck on Amazon.

The second mod took me a while to figure out. Most videos cut the proprietor Smittybilt quick connectors off the Smittybilt air hoses to add the lockout slide valve pictured in my post. I didn't want to cut any of the stock quick connectors, so I researched those connectors and it turns out they are not proprietary. They are in fact Japanese quick connects. Hardly any air compressors in the USA use the Japanese/Asian standard other than Smittybilt. Everyone else uses the most common "industrial" standard for quick connects.

Anyways, I found Japanese quick connect adaptors to easily install the lockout slide valve. Unfortunately, the valve is backordered two months and it won't get here until mid August 2022. The valve allows me to check the tire's air pressure using the stock Smittybilt gauge without having to disconnect the air chuck from the tire nor having to stop the compressor. Just slide the valve to close/open as needed and I can do that at each tire. No need to do the MORRair kit either.

So, I'll post pictures when the 2 Japanese quick connect adaptors and the usa made lockout slide valve arrive and I can do a quick video on how I attached them and how it allows me to easily check the air pressure.

And if it doesn't work as advertised, then I can use the Japanese quick connect adaptors to switch to the industrial standard quick connect. This will allow me to use all the aftermarket hoses and gauges from ARB, MORRFlate, Flexzilla, and others who use the industrial quick connect standard.
nice!

I'm eager to see the products to link to the names. I like this idea. Are you also going to mount the pump?
I got the IM 5.65CFM pump with that idea... mount on pass fender well and plum quick disconnect for hose. Probably figure out some air filter like ARB too, considering the wicked dust around here...
1653082826487.png

a jeep friend showed me hers,

1653082583429.png
1653681305983.png

and I found this amazon version, so this'll be part of my eventual plan

Amazon product ASIN B07G4CCWDJ
1653082636894.png

Last edited:
There are a few air chucks that screw into the air pressure hose, so there’s no cutting. I’m personally looking for adapters that connect without any cutting, so I can preserve the 2781 in stock form.

The screw on air chucks range from cheap to medium to expensive.

AstroAI Air Chuck, Heavy Duty Open Flow Lock On Tire Chuck with Clip for Inflator Gauge Compressor Accessories, Yellow
Amazon product ASIN B078WVQTN6
JACO Lightning S2-Series Tire Air Chuck - 1/4" F-NPT | Open Flow (2 Pack)
Amazon product ASIN B07ZHM5W91

And due to supply chain issues, the Japanese quick connectors with 1/4” NPT adapters are not all available on amazon and not the same brand.

One is Nitto Kohki made in Japan and the other is SpeedAire made in China. These are coming early next week.

Once you get these Japanese quick connects to 1/4” NPT adapters, you can use the flexzilla industrial quick connector kit to attach any aftermarket air hose or gauge.
Flexzilla Pro High Flow Coupler & Plug Kit (14 Piece), 1/4" NPT - A53458FZ Amazon product ASIN B01CK42B32
The lockout slide valve is made in the USA by CoilHose and back ordered two months.

DBC19DB8-B630-44C6-B919-FAF8B9A3A84D.jpeg

5D31CCF4-8A0D-4293-8DC3-9DC1538D8750.jpeg

DAEC1259-961B-4B56-BBD7-80555BE19647.jpeg

Once I get all the parts and test them, I will then post more picture of everything connected and working.

17C7933F-401F-4BFD-B3A3-1B63354E2E05.jpeg

Last edited:
@DRANGED are the quick connectors on the Ironman air compressor “industrial” standard? Meaning can you directly connect/replace (without adapters) aftermarket air hoses and gauges from arb, flexzilla, or others?

Last edited:
And here’s the YouTube video I found that explains the purpose and value of the lockout slide valve.

I ended up ordering a female-female lockout slide valve because it’s the only one I could actually order on back order. Darn supply chain issues.

Also, note that anywhere you can have a 1/4” NPT connection, you can buy a 1/4“ NPT to industrial quick connector adapter to be able to connect any aftermarket air hose or gauge.

Last edited:
@DRANGED are the quick connectors on the Ironman air compressor “industrial” standard? Meaning can you directly connect/replace (without adapters) aftermarket air hoses and gauges from arb, flexzilla, or others?
@HomersCanyonero
It looks proprietary so not industrial or others (I run industrial and high-flow at home), but it seems smooth-connecting 🤷‍♂️... I still haven't even turned it on, lol...

1653277665190.png

The hose comes with that lame screw-on fitting (see the one I'll be swapping on), but has a dial in-line on the supplied hose.
1653277720410.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom