Home security cameras (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SFROMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
I want to purchase some security cameras for the exterior of my house. I can do my own research on home security cameras but rather have some reviews of brands you guys are using

So post up the name brand you are using but only if you recommend it. If you have used other brands in the past and we’re not up to your standards then I suppose post that brand as well.

Honestly I don’t even need a good review. Like I said I can do my own research to see if it will need my needs. Just post up the brand if you want.

For example

RECOMMEND: brand name
REASON: optional
DONT RECOMMEND: brand name ( please only if you have personal experience)

Obviously some of cameras today are pretty advanced which makes it convenient to get.

I am looking for
long battery life ( possible solar powered?)
iPhone compatible with some sort of app I guess
Blue tooth ? ( again limited research with the new stuff out there today)

Memory to Record movement but ( can distinguish human movement) the one I saw today did this and thought was pretty cool.

The one i feature I really liked with the one I saw today that I hadn’t even thought of is that the an alarm goes off when it detects human movement - I really liked this.

And I guess ability to network a few together since i live on a corner lot I basically have to cover two sides of my house so might need more than one or two.

Let me know what you got.

To add, here is the Starlight sensor on the Wyze Cam v3.
1644202352250.png

The lawn is brown and not pretty.

Thanks for the link for the other thread Jon.

I will just use the info from the other thread. No need to repeat the same subject.

I guess I should have searched now for I posted.

I have an older Lorex hardwired system. 4k cameras are acceptable but I am sure newer systems have better night time resolution. 4 cameras strategically placed. I can connect to the internet and see everything on my phone but I’ve never set it up.

I use Nest for a few reasons. I have have the thermostat, door bell, carbon/smoke detectors and cameras. I have multiple locations that I monitor. I will probably change in the near future to a system that we install at my work place. My profession is managing a office for a simi large company that installs high end commercial cameras and video manegement systems along with access control and anything to do with security.

Also using Google Home / Nest. But yes the other thread had lots of great suggestions and detailed explanations, @SFROMAN - go check it out.

I have ring - not super impressed. It did not capture me falling into the pool in the middle of the winter - it stops recording after a set number of seconds. The footage would have priceless. it also did not capture the guy stealing wood from my driveway but it did capture the same guy stealing wood and bags of concrete from the lot next to me. But not his plates or what his face looked like.

Best of all - it did not capture someone trying to steal my M2 in broad daylight. On a weekday at 10:30 AM. You can see the car in one pic pristine and an hour or so later it damaged. I'm pretty sure they got into the car and when they realized it was a manual they gave up and left.

I thought about it for a long time then realized it must have been a RF jammer - did a quick google search and you can actually buy a ring cam jammer.

Total BS!

As some of you guys know - I got hurt pretty bad in 2015 and started selling off all my tools and crap. Still in the process of doing it now. I sold a whole bunch of tools to the same contractor who had a guy breaking into his business on a regular basis and stealing tools. he knew who was stealing them from him, he had the guy on cam with clear footage and he even knew the guys name and had finger prints but the cops would not do anything because he could not provide the cops with the theif's address! So it's one thing to have footage but all together another to make an arrest. Information with out application is just entertainment. Sadly, in his case he wasted a bunch of his time looking at footage and nothing came of it. That sucks!

I have been using the “ I wish a mofo would method” for security and has worked pretty good over the years.

I am just looking to supplement my current method with cameras.

At the end of the day i am not looking to have evidence or anything like that. I just like the new technology that notifies you if the camera detects motion. That alone would be enough for me.
I know that at the end of the day if a criminal wants to steal your stuff nothing is going to stop them from trying.

I have been using the “ I wish a mofo would method” for security and has worked pretty good over the years.

I am just looking to supplement my current method with cameras.

At the end of the day i am not looking to have evidence or anything like that. I just like the new technology that notifies you if the camera detects motion. That alone would be enough for me.
I know that at the end of the day if a criminal wants to steal your stuff nothing is going to stop them from trying.
If that’s what you want then ring Is fine. It’s great and keeping honest people honest.

Reolink 4k cameras using Synology Surveillance Station
Works pretty good but a bit of a pain to set up.
Sends alerts to my phone.

I've had a Swann system for several years, hardwired. Super easy setup and works every time. Res is good but not the latest. It detects IR and movement so very few false triggers. People, animals, vehicles trigger the cameras in a split second but sometimes spiders will too. I also have a large capacity DVR that deletes older video first after about two years worth. They have wireless options and can be hooked to internet if you desire. I've had no bad issues what so ever with this system, so I would recommend it.

I use (9 ea) Ring Cams outside and (5 ea) Nest Cams Inside. Both apps are simple to use and the notifications come through on my watch and my phone. The outdoor cams are visible enough to be a deterrent and my wife likes seeing our dogs on the Nest Cams. I was on extended business travel for several months and we were happy with what we could see from Texas. The outdoor floodlight cameras work much better than the floodlights that were previously installed... We've had them for about 2 years and they still work fine.

Along with cameras I will also be upgrading to better exterior lighting. Maybe some super strong LEDs. The exterior lighting would be more for lighting up my huge backyard since I always end up working until after dark and it would be nice to have better lighting. If they help with deference or to help the camerasThat would be an added bonus.

Along with cameras I will also be upgrading to better exterior lighting. Maybe some super strong LEDs. The exterior lighting would be more for lighting up my huge backyard since I always end up working until after dark and it would be nice to have better lighting. If they help with deference or to help the camerasThat would be an added bonus.
One of the first things I always go over with customers is lighting. Bright motion lights or dusk to dawn lights deters a lot and keeping trees and bushes trimmed or not having any helps so people cant hide from cameras or people looking out windows. You have started by putting up a taller fence. All of these measures keep people honest. Criminals will always steal or commit crime no matter what.
I was talking to a cruiser buddy last night in his shop as he has decent cameras that I think he picked up from bestbuy and he was asking me what the next level up would be. I said well it depends on your budget. Going from a big box store camera system to a commercial grade is jumping from $500 to $10-20K depending on how many cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom