Holiday Wheeling Request with Bolivian traveler and LC fanatic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yjeff

AZ to Alaska to Argentina in Land Cruisers '12-'16
Threads
Website
www.overlandtheworld.com
Anyone have any suggestions or want to join me in some local Scottsdale Holiday Wheeling (by 1/3)?
  • I have an international guest from Bolivia, and he has only seen Wash DC and Miami in the US, until he arrived yesterday in AZ.
  • Toto is the President of a 4x4 & Land Cruiser club in Santa Cruz, Bolivia
  • He's at my house until 1/4/23 practicing English
    • We were thinking Top Golf, Scottsdale Gun Club, Phoenix Zoo lights, etc.
    • Drive out the 60 for some vistas?

In January 2016, a group of dudes approached Monica & I, at a campsite near the DAKAR race Bivouac in Salta, Argentina. Turns out they were members of a 4x4 & Land Cruiser club in Santa Cruz, Bolivia and wanted to ask me about my 80. Fast forward to June of 2016 and I showed up at his families house to grab some lunch, and we ended up staying a week and getting a ton of work done on the cruiser. I want to return his family's hospitality.

Photos below for attention

IMG_20160612_122829.jpg

Toto's FJ43 in 2016, he has restored it since

IMG_20160611_174157.jpg

I bought a ton of meat to have a BBQ with his club before we left, June 2016

Sounds wonderful!

how about going on the Apache Trail (AZ88) all the way up to the view point all the way up from Tortilla Flat ? only 2 miles of dirt at the end, but fantastic views along the ride, including Canyon Lake, Four Peaks, and tons of Saguaros - make sure you walk all the way out to the end of the view area trails for the best vistas into the canyon

unfortunately, the road is closed after the Vista Point, and the major rockfall that closed it in 2019 is out of view

Driving Four Peaks Road from Highway 87 up to the peak, then continuing down the back side into Tonto Basin is a fun drive. Once in Tonto Basin you can retrace your steps back to 87, or go 20 miles north on Hwy 188 to reconnect with Hwy 87. I did it last week with the family and saw @DSRTRDR and @ChaseTruck coming up from Tonto Basin when we were on the way down the back side. You can go from 60 degrees at the base up to 30 degrees and snow on the ground at the peak in about an hour and half. Great views of the valley landmarks (Camelback Mountain, South Mountain) to the southeast and Roosevelt Lake to the southwest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom