Hmmmm...What to do next? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in a sticky situation. Suspension or other stuff ( recovery gear, CC & MTS, recovery points, tire inflator, etc). Now, in my mind, I can always use other people's recovery gear, but I can't use other people's suspension 😇. But if I'm out alone, I might need that gear. I really want to do my suspension right (expensive, in other words) the first time, kind of like the Total Chaos setup. I do need recovery points, and if I get CC and MTS then I have to get the rear airbag delete set up. I'm not rich, so I can't buy the full suspension setup all at once. Any suggestions? Should I roll with a basic suspension setup now, or get the recovery things that I should have anyways?

Last edited:
I'm in a sticky situation. Suspension or other stuff ( recovery gear, CC & MTS, recovery points, tire inflator, etc). Now, in my mind, I can always use other people's recovery gear, but I can't use other people's suspension 😇. But if I'm out alone, I might need that gear. I really want to do my suspension right (expensive, in other words) the first time, kind of like the Total Chaos setup. I do need recovery points, and if I get CC and MTS then I have to get the rear airbag delete set up. I'm not rich, so I can't buy the full suspension setup all at once. Any suggestions? Should I roll with a basic suspension setup now, or get the recovery things that I should have anyways?
What do you want to do with it?

The GX does all kinds of really cool things without much help. Before any modifications to mine, I have three factors I consider; maintain stock or better reliability, retain the ability to enter the garage without airing down 😮, and retain accessible step height for my small kids who have only recently mastered independent egress/ingress. I don't know if any of those would apply to your use. After those considerations, the 'off-road' mods I have done (or planned in next 1-3 months) are the following in order:
  • Falken Wildpeak 265/60R18 (will go to 265/65R18 in spring - similar in OD to yours)
  • Crawl Control/MTS
  • ARB Skidplates
  • Gamiviti Expo++ rack
  • (Recovery boards and points)
  • (A better recovery strap/kit, probably kinetic)
  • (Bilstein 5100 shocks/struts, no lift initially but to 2nd ring on front eventually)
  • (Firestone airbags, for added comfort when heavy and to maintain stock rake after moving to 2nd ring)
My list is pretty boring but it will give me improved performance for my expected encounters (beaches, dunes, light trails) without sacrificing my above 'needs'. I hope it will also give me a slightly better chance of surviving a mistake without serious damage (running Flagpole Knob in VA in about a week so my outlook may change).

My suggestion would be Crawl/MTS and skids. If you are banging on stuff at your favorite trails, take note of what you are hitting and where to estimate how much lift you need. You may need UCAs as part of that calculation. You will need a competent shop to get your alignment correct after the lift or there is a chance you'll hate driving it. I've seen people sell a recently lifted vehicle solely because their shop couldn't get the caster right after a couple attempts.

I think your rig looks good with just the 4Runner wheels and a few inches of air. Toyota/Lexus makes a damn fine machine. Light protection/recovery would be my next expenditure. Good luck!

Recovery gear is not expensive. At the minimum, you'd need front recovery points ($150 or so), a couple soft shackles ($40/ea), a kinetic tow strap ($120), and a D-ring or other recovery point for the rear (assuming you have a trailer hitch). Add to that a good set of tires, de-flator, tire patch kit, foxhole shovel, and air compressor (I recommend going straight to on-board - lot of folks have mounted the Smittybilt 2781 in these rigs for cheap, including myself). That should really be the "minimum" in anyone's wheeling kit as it would allow you to easily air up/down and pull someone else out or get yourself pulled out.

However suspension is the best bang for your buck on these rigs in terms of improving driving dynamics and off-road capability. I also wouldn't spend a ton of $$$$ on high end suspension as it's not worth it for a daily driver rig. Many of the more expensive shocks require frequent and expensive rebuilds or, like the Total Chaos arms, have a uniball ball joint that requires frequent maintenance. You'd be better served with a mid-range kit (like something from Ironman or Dobinsons) that has longer rebuild intervals and is less money up-front. There won't be much of a difference in off-road performance, although the more expensive kits will usually do better on high-speed rough roads (i.e. flying through the desert).

You'd be better served with a mid-range kit (like something from Ironman or Dobinsons) that has longer rebuild intervals and is less money up-front. There won't be much of a difference in off-road performance, although the more expensive kits will usually do better on high-speed rough roads (i.e. flying through the desert).
^correct answer.

Total Chaos will be a total waste of money unless you regularly get all 4 tires off the ground… In which case, badass.... but you probably shouldn’t have the kids in anyway.

Dobinsons or ironman FCP are the sweet spot. Everything above that seems to have reliability issues and diminishing returns on performance. Buy once cry once doesn’t apply here. You’ll cry, curse and spit once a year when you’re truck is on blocks because of a leaking shock or rattling uniball while your friends with FCP’s daily drive and wheel for half a decade with no maintenance.

Also, recovery gear and compressor should come before a lift.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I am going to get the Treaty Oak recovery points unless there is a better option, but I can't seem to find much info on recovery points. I use my GX mainly on weekends and will use it in rock crawls and general off-road situations. Probably not a lot of high-speed desert runs., but maybe some high-speed dessert runs 🤣. I plan on driving it on some aggressive trails and will put some 35s on it at some point in the future. I have looked at Dobinsons and Iron Man suspensions and like those kits, but it does seem a suspension should come after the basic trail gear.

Treaty Oak recovery points unless there is a better option, but I can't seem to find much info on recovery.
I have these - Recovery points LC150 / GX460 - https://bison-gear.com/en/home/83-recovery-points-lc150-gx460-5904624779043.html

Half the price of treaty oaks but shipping from Europe makes them about the same. If you buy several things makes it cheaper. I LOVE their rear cargo molly system and the drop down divider will keep the family safe when you do occasionally get all 4 tires off the ground.

Maybe consider their rear table if you don’t have one. I know wheeling hardware is sexy but being comfy at camp with the family provides more rewards long term and keeps the wife happy : )

Disclaimer - Bison gear gives me free s*** once in a while.

I have these - Recovery points LC150 / GX460 - https://bison-gear.com/en/home/83-recovery-points-lc150-gx460-5904624779043.html

Half the price of treaty oaks but shipping from Europe makes them about the same. If you buy several things makes it cheaper. I LOVE their rear cargo molly system and the drop down divider will keep the family safe when you do occasionally get all 4 tires off the ground.

Maybe consider their rear table if you don’t have one. I know wheeling hardware is sexy but being comfy at camp with the family provides more rewards long term and keeps the wife happy : )

Disclaimer - Bison gear gives me free s*** once in a while.

I'm down for people getting free s*** for their content. I do like that molly setup. I'm going to check out their website today. Any links I should be clicking? For disclaimer purposes, of course.

I'm down for people getting free s*** for their content. I do like that molly setup. I'm going to check out their website today. Any links I should be clicking? For disclaimer purposes, of course.
NVM, the link was there.

Nah, I don’t get paid for clicks with them but appreciate that. They just hooked me up for future videos. Just start at - https://bison-gear.com/

They have a ton of great stuff. Shipping is pricey for the first item but gets way better as you add up items so get everything you want at once. I’m installing their rear table this weekend. I’ll try to remember to post some pics.

Its a cool brand and the owner is really responsive.

If you want a good idea of gear to carry with you when on the trail, check out this sticky post on the main forum page: Ultimate Trail Tool Kit (carry on for off road)
I really like this list. I need to get my organization in order. I'm really just starting out with all this, even though I have thousands in tools at work, they can't come with me. So building a good tool set with the proper tools and sockets will cut back on unnecessary items.

Good tires, CUT the front, rear bumpers and the side steps. Better approach, breakover and departure angles. Potentially go up in tire size a couple sizes with trimming and no lift. Front recovery points and a receiver hitch recovery point.

Most of all find a I4WDTA certified trainer in your area, spend a weekend in class to properly learn recovery and driving. The money you spend in class will save you money in the long run.

Most of all find a I4WDTA certified trainer in your area, spend a weekend in class to properly learn recovery and driving. The money you spend in class will save you money in the long run.
Not to mention keep one from killing themselves from improper use of recovery gear.

Newbs rarely appreciate the danger of the forces involved with recovery.

Get training before you buy any recovery gear.

I have the same mindset as you OP regarding wanting the best, and have found in the past not being able to afford the best means I find myself putting off having adventures until I can afford to buy what I WANT....which isn't always what I NEED.

Take the advice of others and outfit your rig with good reliable suspension, don't go crazy. Sounds like cutting bumpers, adding good rubber, and a mild lift will get out out on the trails. There are a lot of guys with some pretty beat up rigs having a lot of fun out there. Also watch some recovery vids and see what locals are using, and build up your collection of gear from there.

Here is a great example of dumb-f***kery that should scare the s*** out of anyone;

I've heard about never using a ball on a receiver to pull with and what can happen, but never an actual detailed incident.
Really sad.
Glad I personally do not ever do that. In fact, I keep a D ring in my receiver all the time, just in case.

I've heard about never using a ball on a receiver to pull with and what can happen, but never an actual detailed incident.
Really sad.
Glad I personally do not ever do that. In fact, I keep a D ring in my receiver all the time, just in case.

You should keep your bow shackles (d-rings) in your truck. No sense in beating them up over a rock, or getting them stolen. Those hitch receiver setups are only good on a straight line pull also. The receive itself is not rated for being side-loaded.

Regarding failures, the same thing can happen with cheap recovery gear from China, quality gear that is under-rated, or misused gear of any kind.

There is so much to know to recovery safely in all situations. But a few things people seem to mess up often;

A winch should be the weakest link, always. The force of the pull is also the force applied to the object you send flying when it breaks. Sending a bow shackle with 10k lbs of force through the air is not a good idea. This is probably as fast as a bullet from a 300 win mag.

This means if you have a 10k lb winch, everything else should in your kit should be rated at more than 10k lbs, otherwise you are playing with a ticking time bomb.

Not every pull on a 10k winch is actually 10k lbs, depends on the recovery, but a 5000lb truck that's buried to the axles in the mud, could easily take 10k+ lbs of force to get out, depending on the recovery angle even more. Start with a shovel in this case.

For snatch blocks, you need at least DOUBLE the rating of your winch, because physics.

Plan to spend as much, or more on recovery gear as you did your winch. Get a good bag for it. Keep it clean. Still cheaper than an off road tow truck.

Ratings are a small piece of the puzzle, knnowing how to use everything is very important too;
shackle-4.JPG

The best investment is paying for a weekend recovery course, and refreshing it every couple years.

Last edited:
You should keep your bow shackles (d-rings) in your truck. No sense in beating them up over a rock, or getting them stolen.
I don't do rock crawling and the few times I go through a small rock garden there's a lot of other things that'll get hung up on my departure angle. ;)
I've had that D ring hanging off my receiver for the last 5 years and never had anyone mess with it.
I have one also on my wife's Taco for about the same amount of time along with a basic recovery strap that she keeps it. She does minimal off roading but I borrowed her truck once to run an errand on Camp Pendleton and did have to recover a Marine that dropped the front end of his Mustang in a drainage ditch. It was handy having that gear there. But again, and to agree with you, it is for light work only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom