Hj75 purchase opinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, everyone i want to get my first land cruiser. So a guy is selling a hj75 (at least i think its that one) for 6500 the car is from '92 has a 2h engine and some other mods. Has 200k km. Dont knoe anything else about the car but am planning to see it today. What are you opinions and suggestions. Please help im kind of a noob here. Forgot to mention A/c works

20180526_132416.png

20180526_132341.png

20180526_132538.png

20180526_132448.png

It looks like a 77 series, maybe a HZJ77 if its diesel, which would mean it has a 1HZ diesel, not a 2H.(unless its had a retro engine swap)
The roof is probably the original colour. The body looks like it has a had a few patch ups, especially the front RH fender.
Have a close look around the windscreen, looks like a patch up on the left hand bottom , they often rust there.
It has a few parts which don't correspond with the year. Like the grill and those tail lights dont normally come with that bumper, but that could be market specific.
The front RH spring pack looks likes its over to one side.
Spring pack looks like it has had a leaf or 2 removed.
Missing a windscreen wiper arm.
Exhaust pipe looks a bit smaller diameter than normal
I would ask to see a cold start, meaning the engine has not been started at all over night. It should start almost immediately with only a flash of grey exhaust smoke.
The gearbox should be a little stiff when cold and loosen up and shift smoothly after a few shifts.
I get the impression its had a hard life, so I would spend a fair bit of time looking at it and asking questions. $6500 is not over the top, but it will almost certainly come with a few hefty repair bills.

Get some engine pics and pics of the aluminum plate on the firewall and then we can decode the info.

Last edited:
Well, you sure know what your talking about... well i cant afford some hefty repairs so im kinda questioning it now hopefuly i can get some more info today check ot out in person and respond back with some pic's that's btw forgot to ask what is the aluminun plate? Sorryif i don't know :/

Hello,

Two possibilities.

Either someone somehow matched an LJ78 body into an HJ/HZJ75, or managed to import an HZJ77 and perform a LHD conversion.

Whatever the case, the truck looks battered. It appears to have had a snorkel sometime. Shackles and leaf springs look tampered. The front bumper is from a Light Duty 70 Series. The front clip looks misaligned with the rest of the body.

Anyway, try a cold start and see how the engine runs.

I would look for other options.

Juan

well i cant afford some hefty repairs

I always give the worst scenario, its better than going along thinking the vehicle will be all rosy. Go and have a look, maybe I am wrong,but it certainly has a used look about it. But these are tough beasts and the PO may have kept up the maintenance on the mechanical side of things. They take a lot of punishment. It may have a long list of things to fix but often they are easy to do for the home mechanic.

The front bumper is from a Light Duty 70 Series

I knew there was something odd about the way it was bent at the edges

btw forgot to ask what is the aluminun plate?

It like this but this one is off a diesel Prado. It gives the intended market, engine type and size, the transmission ,paint etc in code and can be decyphered. Then we can compare it with what we see.

10.jpg

Either someone somehow matched an LJ78 body into an HJ/HZJ75,

Thats not bad idea, it would be the only way I could get a HZJ77:hmm:

I knew there was something odd about the way it was bent at the edges

Hello,

Not just bent at the edges. The black plastic ends also give it away as a LD bumper.

Juan

It is an LJ77 with a 1HZ swapped in it and a 70-series front clip and it looks like converted to leaves in front as well.

I posted about it a year ago. A friend of mine down there checked it out for me a few months after I posted about it, it is a real pile.

Cheers

Thats not bad idea, it would be the only way I could get a HZJ77:hmm:

Hello,

Certainly it would ride better than an HZJ77.

I guess JDM imports are not what they used to be in your neck of the woods.

Juan

Hello,

Certainly it would ride better than an HZJ77.

I guess JDM imports are not what they used to be in your neck of the woods.

Juan

I think any leaf sprung vehicle can be made to ride good.
About 10 years ago ,car dealers put huge pressure on the govt to wind back the types of cars available to be imported from Japan. The main target was low klm landcruisers and patrols as they were eating away at the prices of locally used landcruisers in Australia. Im guessing this also affected new landcruiser sales, as the price dealers could pay for trade ins was diminished. And in turn owners were less likely to buy new if their trade in was worth less.

Thanks for all the suggestions, your all awesome, anyway the owner kinda started to avoid contact with me so ill just look for something else thanks anyway
Btw i dont think that guy knows about this car. And for those who want to know it is in Panama not the us panama but central america

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom