HJ61 Rear Diff Questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We just completed a 450km highway trip 120Km all the way. 2 hours after parking the cruiser I noticed oil all over the rear. Starts where the drive shaft ends, covers the bottom of truck, all the lines and spare tire. what seals am I looking at replacing? Problem is its a long weekend and we have to get back home Sunday morning. The one thing I forgot to pack is the manual so I am looking for some advice here.

Can I top it up and make the drive back or will that damage the rear diff?

What oil should I use?

How do I move breather vent up? (I was in a mudhole a few weeks ago so may have gotten some water in it.)

Anybody in Grande Prairie have a gasket for an 88 this weekend?

Thanks!

Sounds like the pinion seal. Make sure there is not a lot of play at the pinion flange (where the driveshaft attaches to the diff) A lot of play would indicate a bearing starting to fail which could lead to a lot of damage. Does the flange move in and out of the diff?

If the flange is still tight (side to side and front to back) no reason you couldn't drive it back but only as long as you keep the diff topped off, frequent stops to check the level. Just use 90 wt gear oil or 80-90 or similar. No high speeds either. Drive mellow.

If there is a lot of play might not be a good idea to drive it back before it's fixed. You don't want more damage if the bearing is starting to fail...

Tony

Thanks, where do i check the level and top up? Flange does not move in or out right now. BTW your website is a great read!

The oil should be level with that plug on the back of the diff. Just open it up and look in. Don't be surprised if its a little low after the leak. Fill it till it's level with the bottom of the hole. Keep a rag handy and be careful not to mangle the head of the plug if it hasn't been off in awhile.

Best of luck on the trip home. Got a leaky pinion seal myself right now....

Tony

Thanks for the help guys, we made it back the 450Km just fine. Tomorrow the shops open up again so I hope to find parts in town. Level was down may 3/8".

Picked up the parts Friday at closing time. He didn't give me a new crush washer though... (is that going to be a problem later?) I was able to get it apart and back together with new seal and nut on Saturday. We did a little drive Sunday and when I checked the diff oil level again there was pressure released. So am I right in thinking that I probably need to clean out the vent tube on rear diff?

I only use......

woodscustom-albums-fj-picture19637-woods-custom-select-reserve-ultra-dino-blend-supreme-80w-90-gear-oil.jpg

GOOOOOOOD STUFF!!!

WC

The breather should be a hex fitting on the axle tube that you can back out and clean on the bench.... I pulled the caps off of mine and have run rubber hose from the fittings to up under the hood to raise the "breather" up above a fording water level.

Are you sure it's pressure and not vacuum? My 62 would get hot and the spring loaded cap on the breather would pull down and hold a slight vacuum when the oil cooled off. Opening the plug there was a hiss.

For some reason Toyota wants you to reset the preload when you change the seal on the pinion which means a new crush sleeve. Crush sleeves are not considered a reusable part. That being said lots of people seem to just change the seal and put on a new stake nut. If I have doubts I generally tend to trust the factory service manual.

Tony

AFor some reason Toyota wants you to reset the preload when you change the seal on the pinion which means a new crush sleeve. Crush sleeves are not considered a reusable part.

that's why you move to solid spacers .. and problem solved

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom