HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been on the look out for another cruiser since I sold my 80 series a year ago. Once in a while one catches my eye and you good people have been kind enough to answer the questions I have had.

I am going to look at an HJ60 tomorrow and believe I've found a beauty. It is a 6 cylinder diesel and was first registered in 1989. It has had one owner since new (a mechanic) and has only done 81,000 miles. The present owner is looking to sell because he has just bought an 80 series from his son. The 60 has never been off road and is used just for going on holiday when it tows a caravan. It is unmodified except for BFG tyres (a good choice in my opinion) and has chrome wheels (not so nice). He has also fitted a bull bar. For the last few years it has only done 2,500 miles a year. The milage is verifyable thanks to a system we have here in the UK.

Having never owned a 60 series before (or even been to look at one) what are the main things to check out? Are there any well know problem areas to watch out for?
Are there many other 60 owners here in this forum (or are you mostly 40 owners)
I do about 7,000 miles a year and intend to use this as my daily drive. I don't do anything very challenging off road but do a fair bit of shooting for which I need 4WD and plenty of boot space. Is this a practical proposition?

Thanks in advance, Jim :beer:

no help, but thats a good looking hj60! I love the groovy stock graphics

after i bought my 60 both clutch and brake master cylinders went 148,000 miles might be worth checkin them for leaks..rear cross member behind the back bumper...check out all the rubber seals, bushings, hoses... what the hell man just go get it.... or give me direction on how to go get it.. :) good luck man... youll love it
-al

I just bought myself a new truck :D

I went over it inch by inch. There is a little rust on the drivers side door just below the window. There is also a little in the wheel arches but nothing serious. The rear doors are fine and the chassis looks better than my old '97 80 series. There is a little oil on the engine (US drivers side) but just a colouration from oil rather than a drip drip kind of leak. The interior is pretty smart. It had a new starter motor 5 years ago. The front birfields have been recently packed with grease. The only slight concern was it vibrated a bit when first started from cold - there is a hand throttle which when applied to increase the engine revs smoothed out the vibration. Once warm the engine ran smoothly at normal (500rpm?) revs. There was also a bit of a knack to change from first to second gear without crunching the gear. This seemed to improve as the gearbox warmed up (or did I just improve on my technique?) Changing down from 2nd to first was problem free. Hi/Low and 4WD all worked OK. It has had new fron spring hangers (just the fron ones) on both sides. The bushings looked old and cracked - is there a source for new ones?

I plan to pick it up on Saturday ....

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom