HJ60 LSD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Esperance, previously Kalgoorlie Western Australia
Hi All,
I am toying with the idea of converting my rear diff to an LSD.
What model LSD centres will fit the HJ60?

Full float or semi?

a full float will take any 9.5 inch Toyota third while you must use a semi float housing in a semi float in order to istall the c clips and cross pin.

What type of off road do you intend to do?

factory Toy LSD only works in FF axles .. while IIRC Auburn uses to have one that works with SF axles ..

Personal Note:

LSD = waste of $$$ or locker or nothing

Sorry, FF rear axle. As far as I know there was no SF axles in Australia after 1980.
There seems to be a lot of negativity about the LSD.
What is the main problem with them?
I have a Lock-Right on the front and thought the LSD would be a good mate for it.
There are many 78/70/100 series units on Ebay for under $300.

They are only working correctly when they are brand new, after few kilometers there are't any lock function in them.
Have rebuilt mine and using the correct oil, but still sucks.
When I went to Island I put in an airlocker instead,newer looked back.

When you say "a few kilometers", are we talking hundreds, thousands or tens of thousands?
I think that maybe using the incorrect oil might be the cause of the failures.
I am afraid an air locker is way above what I can afford.

Either get airlocker or find factory cable-lockers (they came with hj61 since 86 or so)... LSD is allright for city-driving and such but for any serious off-road driving it's a no-no

Let me put this straight ( all it's just my opinion / experience )

Almost all our 80 came with rear factory LSD .. they all sucks from the very beginning . ..

add some wear ( 50,000 km ) and bigger tires and they start suck big ( even bigger ) time .. and they do more when you see an 100,000 km old Nissan LSD doing it so much better ..

When you need the most .. coz in you mind you are thinking " yes I'll make it coz I have a LSD " they will let you down ..

You can rebuild 'em .. ( Mr. T sells all you need ) you can add more shims to make 'em tight .. but they will still sucks ..

your tire on the ground or with traction will just ... well .. let you stuck ..

After some thought on the matter and taking into consideration of all the above comments I have decided against the LSD option.
My second option is a PowerTrax No Slip locker which is dearer than the Lock Right, but a better option in the rear diff.
Cost wise it is at the upper end of my budget, but cheaper and easier to fit than an Air Locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom