HJ60 headlight diagram request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm appealing to those of you that have Canadian HJ60s. I need a pic of the headlight diagram from your FSM. I have searched and searched and have not found an HJ60 diagram for the 24 volt system with the 12 volt headlights. All the HJ60 diagrams I have found are for straight 24 volt systems and do not show the "evil center tap." The diagrams I have found that do show the "evil center tap" are HJ40 diagrams. Toyota re-designed the headlight wiring with the 60 series from switched hot to switched ground, so the HJ40 diagrams don't directly apply.

So, if one of you HJ60 owners that has the Canada version of the FSM would post up a pic of the headlight schematic, I will draw a simplified headlight diagram and post it back up here to help you guys fix your crappy headlights. I'll also build a new headlight harness that will allow you to junk your crummy sealed beam 12 volt headlights in favor of some H4 24 volt headlights. Your HJ60 will soon be your favorite vehicle to drive at night as well as during the day.

UPDATE: Still need this. Did Toyota not print an FSM for the Canadian trucks?

Last edited:
This is what I got from a pdf file. The A is coming from the second battery through a 0.5G fuse link.

Contact me through PM and I can send you the pdf file (100mb)
headlight.png

If this is from the 84 through 90 body and chassis manual, I downloaded that. This schematic shows the 24 volts only version for the HJ60 which was sold everywhere but Canada and the US. There is no center tap. For instance, the HJ40 diagram with the center tap that I found, shows a dimmer relay with 4 sets of contacts. The dimmer relay in this diagram only has one set of contacts. Additionally, there is no wire coming from between the batteries (ie centertap). The A wire in this diagram comes from the top of the batterie(s). So this diagram does not show the 24 volt HJ60 with the 12 volt headlights. We need a Canada specific FSM to show that, because I think you guys are the only ones that got this....Ahem...version. I think this is because Canada piggybacked on the US DOT headlight standards which at the time only allowed the vastly inferior sealed beam headlights. Sealed beam headlights only came in the 12 volt variety, so Toyota cooked up the bandaid centertap fix. Some Toyota Engineer probably got a big bonus for his ingenuity which he has now spent long ago. I'm thinking this should have been a Toyota recall.

Last edited:
Ok I see, it's the same diagram from my FSM that came with my LC. That strange because I do not have any tap between my batteries. I'll have to go under the hood to double check that.

I've never set eyes on an HJ60, but if it is anything like the HJ40 24 volt rig with 12 volt headlights, you should have a fusible link coming off the 0 to 12 volt battery. This is the center tap. The rest of the fusible links will come off of the 12 to 24 volt battery.

For sure I do not have anything specific for a canadian version. If you need a picture or two from something, let me know.

BTW, I've seen what you've done for the others version and for sure I'll be interested in such upgrade! ;)

None of you Canadian HJ60 guys have FSMs for your rigs? Or maybe Toyota didn't print one for Canada?
I've done some searches and it did not find anything that tells that Canada had a specific FSM. Maybe a dealer will know, but my contact at the dealer said that they only sold 1 Land Cruiser XJ60 series back then and it's been a long time(>15 years) they saw a LC in their garage...

OK, so it sounds like the Canada version of the HJ60 with the dual 24/12 volt systems is a pretty rare bird.

I don't have an FSM for the HJ60's that I have, unfortunately. I do know that there were about 1000 HJ60's sold in Canada for the two years that they were available, 86 and 87. All of these were 24v trucks with the 12v headlights.

How much interest do you think there would be in a harness that converts the 12 volt headlights to 24 volt headlights and eliminates the "center tap" problems? 24 volt H4 headlights are readily available.

How much interest do you think there would be in a harness that converts the 12 volt headlights to 24 volt headlights and eliminates the "center tap" problems? 24 volt H4 headlights are readily available.

Realistically, at this point in time not a whole lot. Personally, I would be interested as I have two 24v trucks that I will be running for the foreseeable future.

But, Canadian HJ60's are 25 years old and the rust is really starting to take over and the 2H's aren't really popular among the LandCruiser bretheren.

HJ 60 headlight problem

New member..
First time on the forum..
Bought an 86 HJ 60 here in Canada.
I,ve had it a few years now.
The fella I bought it from said that he imported it from the U.S
All has been well, except for the headlights...
When passenger headlight failed, I replaced it with the same bulb..It failed shortly thereafter..Upon testing it was determined that the plug was actually receiving 24 volts...While the drivers side plug was supplied with 12 volts ...Took it to Whitby Toyota, who informed me that it appeared to be a failed 12 volt dimmer relay which was factory equipped on the vehicle.
They also told me that the part was no longer available, but maybe I could find one on a web site somewhere.
Have,nt been able to find the part anywhere.
Any help from anyone would be much appreciated....?

New member..
First time on the forum..
Bought an 86 HJ 60 here in Canada.
I,ve had it a few years now.
The fella I bought it from said that he imported it from the U.S
All has been well, except for the headlights...
When passenger headlight failed, I replaced it with the same bulb..It failed shortly thereafter..Upon testing it was determined that the plug was actually receiving 24 volts...While the drivers side plug was supplied with 12 volts ...Took it to Whitby Toyota, who informed me that it appeared to be a failed 12 volt dimmer relay which was factory equipped on the vehicle.
They also told me that the part was no longer available, but maybe I could find one on a web site somewhere.
Have,nt been able to find the part anywhere.
Any help from anyone would be much appreciated....?

The relay part# is 85926-60010 and is stamped 12V
It works on 12V from the center (evil) tap and has actually two relays inside.
One part is for the driver side (12V) and the other is for the passenger side (24V).
IMG_1274.jpg

It's (more or less) easy to convert your truck to 2 x 24V headlights. It's done before.

I think that Mr. Toyota made a little error by telling you that the pas. side received 24V. That is correct because the other side of the bulb is hooked up to 12V, so the actual voltage is 12V.
In other words; the bulb is connected between 24 and 12V.
Maybe somebody molested the wiring????????

Do you have a wiring diagram?

Rudi

IMG_1274.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Rudi...Although its possible, I very much doubt that the wiring harness has been bastardised...
I am trying to understand this concept 'evil tap"but electrical theory leaves me shrugging my shoulders on this issue...If I install a 24 volt version of the 12 on the drivers side,{if one is available}would that be an answer?...I also have a bj42,which is 24 volt, and I have not had this problem with that truck.
The bj42 is wired the same way, and it does have a 24 volt starter as well.
Any advice??

Hi Buster,

The "evil tap" (12V light bulbs in a 24V Cruiser) appeared only in the Canadian market for a few years.
Car mechanics are no electricians and this concept is beyond most people.
Also this happened 30+ years ago so no Toyota mechanic nowadays knows what he's talking about. No pun intended.
Here is the diagram for 12V bulbs in a 24V Cruiser.
The 12V comes from the center of the 2 batteries who are connected in series.
Each light bulb is attached to one battery so the load is equal to each battery, but......
The relay works on 12V and is a load to the lower battery and thus creates an unbalance between the two batteries. Anyway.... long story,

24V center tap.JPG

Rudi

24V center tap.JPG

Hello again Rudi...I am using a small trickle charger every couple of days in an effort to keep the two batteries fully charged to the same level.
Given my situation, what would you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom