HJ60/2H questions, need advice (lots of it) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a 1984 HJ60, 248k km, originally from Central America, high roof, full floater rear axle, 5 speed manual, now registered legally in California. The body and frame are good.
Here is the problem: Lots of oil on the left side of the engine, it is blowing out of the hole where the oil-level feeler goes in (you know, the long metal thing to pull out to check the oil level). when the engine runs, it is smoking a bit out of there. lots of black and blue smoke at start up.
According to the owner the truck overheated good recently due to a dead waterpump.
Here are my questions, and I appreciate your help and answers:
1) This needs a rebuild, correct?
2) is it rebuildable?
3) does it also need a new head (does not loose coolant, no crack visible from the outside)
4) what is involved in a rebuild? can I but the kit from e.g. 4 wheel auto, and go for it? how hard is it with minimal outsourcing?
5) what has to be outsourced?
6) what pricerange am I looking at realistically? the truck would be cheap with the blown engine (~4k).
7) is this a really stupid idea?

It would be nice to have this toy with a rebuild engine, trnasfer, tranny and have it run for another 300 k miles...

thanks for the help!
Jan

Get it, Jan. The rest of the truck itself is worth the $4K. Especially no hassle for you with the CA title and registration. The rings may be gone. Price out the rebuild costs and weigh that against a new, possibly different engine.

Heck, if you are desperate, the tranny will even fit a 2F.

Dave

$4K is good deal. You can drop a variety of motors into it and have a great rig for under $8K.

Besides, you may get months of life out of the failing 2H. Plenty of time to figure out a swap.

FWIW, a similar rig in Central America would likely run well over $4K. Or at least in Costa Rica. Not sure about Guatemala or Honduras where the economy is a tad weaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom