HJ47 troop carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice one! How did you go with those tyre pressures?

Took em down to about 20 psi and no problems. The beach was pretty chopped and the sand very soft. There was a traffic jam getting off the beach with a whole bunch of cars getting bogged in the exit. The troopy went straight through (but slowly in 1st gear).

2H power baby! Nice one mate. Bet you were motivated to get that air working though ;)

so my thoughts about the first outing with the troopy...

90kmh is basically it on the highway. even that feels like a bit much. i think i'll need to do the diff and transmission fluids (though i'm not really sure about this). there was definitely a louder whine coming from underneath on the highway coming back from the beach. i'll also need to study up on when and where to use the grease gun underneath

yes cult - aircon would be nice. it was pretty hot on saturday (but hotter yesterday). the kick vents seem to be placed exactly in the position to attract the hot air coming out the side vents of the engine bay. Despite all that, there is something kinda nice about travelling a bit slower with the windows down. put a cassette into the tape deck - turn it up really load to hear it over the engine and road (and one speaker not working) - i actually enjoy coming into roadworks and the speed limit goes down to 80!

aussie - on the beach revs were mostly between 2.5 and 3. however given that the sand was so choppy and soft i only got out of second for short periods. the hot day, high revs and low speed saw the temp gauge rise a bit. It usually sits around 1/4 but it got up to 1/2 which made me a little cautious. it cooled back down pretty quickly though.

Good to see you using it, 2h sounds good working around 3000 grand in the sand.
Yep, 2H is music to the ears at around 3000...

Pete check out the a/c post in my build thread. Another dealer fitted unit?

yeah i saw that. looks similar but the unit inside is different. mine connects straight into the stock heater/blower unit, whereas this one has a seperate blower unit. compressor looks the same, as does the dash control knob

So ever since last weekend's trip up the beach I've been thinking about this:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1416474907.908219.jpg

I finally got round to it this afternoon, but I'm having a problem with the grease gun coupler. It simply won't "couple" with the nipple. It fits over ok but won't clip on, just slides / pushes straight back off.

Is the coupler faulty? Wrong size for the nipple? It's a ROX brand gun, picked it up second hand.

Is it the flexible hose type? Sometime they can be a PITA to try and hold onto an old nipple that's been clogged with dried grease. If it is a frozen nipple than you can give it a gentle tap with a hammer to free it up, or spray some penetrant on it or both. If it's not a frozen nipple then I'm out of ideas :D

Hi Dan. Nah it's a hard line with a swivelling elbow. If I had three hands I could hold the couple down on the nipple then operate the gun but it should clip on with enough grip to stay there on its own while I squeeze in the grease. I'm leaning toward the coupler being a problem

Yeah ok, sounds like it. Was talking to Paul, that 45 'wrecker' in Lawnton last night and he's got a line on a late '84 ex-SES [QES?] troopy with a/c if you want a spare :D

Yeah ok, sounds like it. Was talking to Paul, that 45 'wrecker' in Lawnton last night and he's got a line on a late '84 ex-SES [QES?] troopy with a/c if you want a spare :D

Sounds interesting. Might even have a bunch o seat belts for me...

It's not in his hands, but he knows of it. Let me know if you want his details.

84troopy the nipple could be worn from corrosion or jaws might be worn. Macnaught make a good coupler thats adjustable about 10or12 bucks also the best lever gun about 90to100 bucks
dont need 3 hands you just have to get creative with your grease gun like lay it across your chest, use your knee to push the gun against or find a spot against the chassis so you can hold the coupler tight on the nipple with one hand.
11years of bulldozing - unfortunately 11yrs of daily greasing :)

Ha ha. But 3 hands would be good!

I ended up buying a mcnaught coupler from repco. From a quick check it appears to have done the trick but I haven't actually done the greasing yet, it's too bloody hot!

I'm actually drooling ! Very nice Cruiser ! we never got the troopy in Canada or usa.
Tires : BFG mud terrain, Greasing : you have 13 fittings on the truck and if you go through water on your travels the water gets sucked into the diffs and ... I usually check all the fluids the after the weekend. Diffs, trans, transfer case, engine oil.
The front knuckles have a square plug 11mm that you can remove with the opp side of a rachet extension and a pair of vice grips, the end of the grease gun will fit into the hole. If the knuckle is empty it will take 2.5 tubes of grease to fill it. When filling look at the knuckle as it will push out any water and when a bit of grease appears you know your full.
I've owned my bj42 since 1992 and never had a front end problem ! It was a dd and trail truck. It's currently waiting to get out of the garage and turn some heads now that the motor mounts have been replaced. it has 480,000km on it. Keeping a keen eye on the fluid levels will save you $, and learning about the mechanics also.

A real beauty in deed you have !!!

Thanks mac. It's a great vehicle and good fun too.

Had another go with the grease gun this morning before it got too hot. The new coupler did the trick. No knees, chest or third hands required. Only problem was that I couldn't turn the rear prop shaft to access the nipples. Do I need to put the 4wd transfer in neutral for it to be able to turn? ( only occurred to me later). I had the hand brake off.

Also i pulled out of topping up the diffs. The rear diff filler plug is a little burred and I only have multiple point sockets so I was concerned I'd make it worse.

84troopy only way to turn rear prop shaft is to jack one rear wheel off the ground and have her out of gear.

First thing i do before greaseing my toyota is to stick jack under the rear, saves time cause mostly the nipple is in the wrong postition and you can spin the tailshaft by hand. I also give the wheels a shake to check the bearing while im at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom