HJ47 Disc Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to upgrade the front drum brakes on an '81 HJ47 (yes, on this one they are). I have read quite a bit of information on this site, particularly about this. However, I have not found the threads that go into a specific kit for doing this. I found this kit on Man-A-fre:

http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/frontbrakeupgradekit4060series.htm

Will this kit work? Is this a good way to go, or does anyone have another suggestion?

I know the rear brakes are another matter with the full floating rear axle. However, I'm open to a kit for that, too, if anyone knows of any.

Thanks for any information,
Andy

don't think that Man-it ain't free kit will fit on a drum front.

why don't you just swap outers (knuckles and spindles) from a disk 40 or a 60 series. mount up some '94 ish fourskinner calipers, mini master or a non-abs 80 master with 1" bore and call it done.

lots of swaps like that in the 40/55 tech section too. try the "search" button.

or post up on the wanted section, not an expensive upgrade. but maybe someone will offer here first.

you think you really need rear disks?

with all the money you'll save, buy beer:beer:

hth's
crusty

crustyBJ60 said:
check the "for sale" forum.

there are 60 series knuckles for $40 a side right now!

what's your progress?

crusty.

I've been reading (two hours a night) and investigating my options. Rutbeer offered to sell the parts I may need, but is all the way on the other side of the country from me. I may still take him up on the offer.

I was unfamiliar with some of the terms until I started running across axle assembly information like this:

http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/axle/part1.html

Things became much clearer then.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted.:bounce:

Last edited:
missipboy said:
this is actually the kit that will work on the drum brake knuckles.
http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/FrontDiscBrakeConversionKits.htm

i've been looking at this too. there was another kit somewhere that was a little cheaper, but i think i'm gonna swap my knuckles and go with a stock setup.

I looked at that kit as well. It says it is for 70-75 cruisers. Mine's an '82. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my reading as I understand it, the later cruisers have fine spline axles but still have drum brakes. The other thing is the drums on the 47 are massive double pistons, and seem bigger than some of the regular cruiser drums I've seen. :confused: Is that typically the case?

my troopy has the big drums too and it's a 79. are you saying their kit will not adapt to our knuckles? i would assume the knuckles are the same as older ones, but i do not know this for sure, hence the dirty word(assume).

don't think that Man-it ain't free kit will fit on a drum front.

why don't you just swap outers (knuckles and spindles) from a disk 40 or a 60 series. mount up some '94 ish fourskinner calipers, mini master or a non-abs 80 master with 1" bore and call it done.

lots of swaps like that in the 40/55 tech section too. try the "search" button.

or post up on the wanted section, not an expensive upgrade. but maybe someone will offer here first.

you think you really need rear disks?

with all the money you'll save, buy beer:beer:

hth's
crusty

i agree with the man, why put on rear d/b's....thats alot of beer your talken about....:flipoff2:

Bringing the thread back to life.
I have a 81 Hj47 and was wondering what you did for the disc conversion?

You can swap the drum knuckles for Toyota truck/4Runner or -79 and newer land cruiser knuckles to get disc brakes. Your drum steering arms should be the same “large pattern” to fit the knuckle studs since yours is a non-US issued cruiser.

is that the only thing needed? sorry I am a novice at this besides regular maintenance.
I am guessing I would need to redo all the brake lines, get calipers off a newer gen, and do I need to do anything to brake master?

I have the same issue, as to not knowing if the booster/front circuit will support front disc. I got as far as locating a fj60 front stopped there. Good to know.

Finally taken the old girl out on the road and the drum brake master cylinder seems to work fine with the front disc conversion and OEM rear drums...... just my experience though. I converted to front discs from drums on my 84' BJ45.

I did the same as an 11 year old kid in about 1992 on my now 35k mile original '78 45 and it still works fine in 2023. Many years but not too many miles of testing on this setup so you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom