1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HJ47 Disc Brakes

Discussion in 'FJ45 Owners Club' started by warfin, Aug 28, 2006.

1. warfin

warfin

I'm looking to upgrade the front drum brakes on an '81 HJ47 (yes, on this one they are). I have read quite a bit of information on this site, particularly about this. However, I have not found the threads that go into a specific kit for doing this. I found this kit on Man-A-fre:

http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/frontbrakeupgradekit4060series.htm

Will this kit work? Is this a good way to go, or does anyone have another suggestion?

I know the rear brakes are another matter with the full floating rear axle. However, I'm open to a kit for that, too, if anyone knows of any.

Thanks for any information,
    Andy

2. crustyBJ60

crustyBJ60 SILVER Star

don't think that Man-it ain't free kit will fit on a drum front.

why don't you just swap outers (knuckles and spindles) from a disk 40 or a 60 series. mount up some '94 ish fourskinner calipers, mini master or a non-abs 80 master with 1" bore and call it done.

lots of swaps like that in the 40/55 tech section too. try the "search" button.

or post up on the wanted section, not an expensive upgrade. but maybe someone will offer here first.

you think you really need rear disks?

with all the money you'll save, buy beer:beer:

hth's
    crusty

3. missipboy

missipboy

4. crustyBJ60

crustyBJ60 SILVER Star

check the "for sale" forum.

there are 60 series knuckles for $40 a side right now!

what's your progress?

crusty.

5. warfin

warfin

I've been reading (two hours a night) and investigating my options. Rutbeer offered to sell the parts I may need, but is all the way on the other side of the country from me. I may still take him up on the offer.

I was unfamiliar with some of the terms until I started running across axle assembly information like this:

http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/axle/part1.html

Things became much clearer then.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted.:bounce:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  6. warfin

warfin

I looked at that kit as well. It says it is for 70-75 cruisers. Mine's an '82. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my reading as I understand it, the later cruisers have fine spline axles but still have drum brakes. The other thing is the drums on the 47 are massive double pistons, and seem bigger than some of the regular cruiser drums I've seen. :confused: Is that typically the case?

7. missipboy

missipboy

my troopy has the big drums too and it's a 79. are you saying their kit will not adapt to our knuckles? i would assume the knuckles are the same as older ones, but i do not know this for sure, hence the dirty word(assume).

8. yotawheeler

yotawheeler

i agree with the man, why put on rear d/b's....thats alot of beer your talken about....:flipoff2:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">