HJ45 Warning Beep?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some help. I tried to fire up the 45 after it's set for over a month and other than the fact that I couldn't get it to fire up it's making a warning beep when I try to fire it up. It's a 1980 HJ45 and this is the first winter I've had it so does it have to do with it being very cold or the battery? The glow plug light is glowing strong but when I turn the key to fire it up it does a constant beep till I turn it off. It is parked in a garage all the time so I'm a little perplexed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Alright I got her to fire up. Took about 8 times and it's a toasty 30 degrees in Utah today. Sorry for the waste of bandwidth.

I'm kinda curious what the beep is. I have a 1980 HJ45 and have never heard it make a peep even when it's below zero Farenheit.

My BJ40 has a loud constant "beep" when i start her up, but only if she has been sitting parked-up for a week or so. I'm pretty sure it is the low vacuum alarm. Tom (Lostmarbles) would know for sure. I think it's cool, like starting a marine engine or a truck! :p

I don't think the :princess: likes it but she'll get over it!

...I couldn't get it to fire up it's making a warning beep when I try to fire it up. It's a 1980 HJ45 ...Mike

I'm kinda curious what the beep is. I have a 1980 HJ45 and have never heard it make a peep even when it's below zero Farenheit.

My BJ40 has a loud constant "beep" when i start her up, but only if she has been sitting parked-up for a week or so. I'm pretty sure it is the low vacuum alarm. Tom (Lostmarbles) would know for sure. I think it's cool, like starting a marine engine or a truck! :p

I don't think the :princess: likes it but she'll get over it!

Well when I read the first post I immediately thought of the warning buzzer on my BJ40 which comes on to alert me if I have "poor vacuum". (So I agree with Dan/Falco80.)

LowVacAlarm.jpg

To see if it is this, just hope into your cruiser, turn the key on (but don't start it) and pump the brake pedal quite a few times to dump the vacuum from your reservoir. If your cruiser is wired up like mine (and I think a 1980 HJ45 would be) ... then the buzzer should come on after a few pumps on the pedal. (I think mine takes something like 6 pumps.)

:cheers:

PS. My vacuum system must be pretty airtight because I don't seem to lose vacuum no matter how long I leave it ....even 2 weeks!
LowVacAlarm.jpg

Last edited:
This is good to know. My 79 HJ45 doesn't lose vacuum, either, after sitting for weeks...and I know the buzzer works because I've heard it before.

I'm thinking this "low/poor vacuum alarm" could be restricted to Australian-market cruisers of this time-period.

I don't think I've ever seen the "buzzer" shown on any FSM wiring diagram. (They tend to show a low-vacuum-switch connected to a warning light.)

I'm thinking this "low/poor vacuum alarm" could be restricted to Australian-market cruisers of this time-period.

I don't think I've ever seen the "buzzer" shown on any FSM wiring diagram. (They tend to show a low-vacuum-switch connected to a warning light.)

My HJ45 shes an Aussie and has the Buzzer

Since making my previous post in this thread (copied above) I HAVE noticed the low-vacuum buzzer appearing on some wiring diagrams.

Here's an example from a "BJ Series except USA & Canada" diagram in the Overseas Service Dept's 1986 FSM publication 98154E:

LowVacBuzzer.jpg

:beer:
LowVacBuzzer.jpg

I am always amazed by Tom's replies. He seems to know every nut, bolt and wire in his car. Impressive. :cheers:

It never occurred to me an old BJ or HJ would have any kind of buzzer at all.

Just found this thread. My "Aussie" RHD HJ45 makes the buzzer noise when I turn the key on, without pumping the brake pedal, and it stops after 15-20 sec after engine starts. What should I look for to maintain the vacuum?

All the fittings between the vacuum pump and reservoir. Reservoirs have some kind of one way valve on them, yours could be leaking.
From memory the 1HZs have about negative 6psi at operating vacuum and I think the older models would be much the same.
A vacuum testing gauge is your friend.

I wonder why the 7* series don't have the alarm? Maybe low vacuum activates the brake warning light the same as low brake fluid etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom