HJ45 - Help Please - H engine white smoke on startup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All
I am looking for some advice please - i am hoping the diesel section is the correct place to put this..
I am going to include as much detail as possible
I have a 1978 HJ45 - it has the original H engine (3.6 litre - 6 cylinder diesel) that has done about 300,000 km
The truck runs really well and starts first time every time.
It has always blown a bit of smoke at startup particularly if it's been sitting for a while
In the last few months it has gradually been blowing more (white) smoke at startup only - once warm all smoke pretty much goes away and if restarted while warm it does not smoke.
I used a product called Liquid Molly Diesel Purge and it did not seem to make much difference
I have just had the injectors and glow plugs replaced and new fuel filter - it now actually blows much more white smoke than before..
It still goes away once warm and the truck starts and drives great and I have taken it on a couple of long drives recently
A compression test has been done - the six cylinders were all between 350 and 380 psi (the manual says standard is 427 psi) so I am assuming it's not a compression issue..
The truck doesn't use oil or water and the oil is clean and there are no bubbles in the coolant
I am thinking I may need to get the injector pump looked at?
Any suggestions about any thing else I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

For how long does the white smoke happen?

Probably a bit of low compression on all cylinders. White smoke is combustion that is too cool, but as the valves/pistons warm up and expand, it begins to burn all the fuel.
Your compression test would have been done on a warm engine and the compression when cold is probably lower

I would get an opinion from a fuel injection shop, I don't think its your inj pump though.

For how long does the white smoke happen?

Probably a bit of low compression on all cylinders. White smoke is combustion that is too cool, but as the valves/pistons warm up and expand, it begins to burn all the fuel.
Your compression test would have been done on a warm engine and the compression when cold is probably lower

I would get an opinion from a fuel injection shop, I don't think its your inj pump though.
Thanks!
It smokes for about 2 - 3 minutes
Compression test was done cold
Yep - I'm off to see the fuel injection guy later this week

Hmm, had a very similar sounding problem on my original 45s 2H. Rebuilt the motor and installed new injectors and still smoked. In the end it was the injector pump itself. It was over fueling

Over fuelling made white smoke?

Is it clouds of white smoke? And its definitely not steam? (no coolant loss?)

I see you said it starts well, which kinda indicates compression is ok..

Are the two hoses from the throttle body down to the injection pump in good order (no cracks etc)? I'd consider just pre-emptively changing the leather diaphragm in the injection pump. What you've described is not normally what you'd expect to see from a broken diaphragm but it does kinda sound like your fuel rack is not working correctly when cold and short of a full pump rebuild this is pretty much the only user serviceable component that you can change that has any impact on how the fuel rack works.

Last edited:
It might be getting a bit of air in the fuel lines, but they usually run rough until the air clears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom