Hive mind HELP on stripped screw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I suppose it was bound to happen ... and it did. Went to remove the screws for the oil pump cover to replace the gasket. Six of them were stubborn, but #7 just slipped and stripped and now I'm in a jam. I've always used my small 1/4" impact and a DeWalt #3 impact bit.

Looking or any and all potential fixes for this little nightmare please :bang: I have left hand drill bits and easy outs, but I have NEVER had and success in having them work properly.

20200530_141335[1].jpg

20200530_141255[1].jpg

Don't know if you can get access, but I usually break those kind free by using a vice grips on the outside of the head.

Worst case, drill bit the size of the thread, drill just deep enough to pop the head. Then use a vice grips to remove the stud after the pump is off.

This is the problem screw. Might end up drilling off the head if needed, just hoping for a better alternative.

Screenshot_20200530-150452_Gallery[1].jpg

Not a ton of room in there to get the tool and the hammer + swing, but might be worth a shot.

Ordered on Amazon. Should be here tomorrow. Hope this cracks it open 🤞

When I did the oil pump on my 80 I ended up drilling the heads off the screws. Just take your time and make sure you don’t drill out the cover. Also I think I used a 90 degree drill attachment with the limited space you have in that area.

I've started with a very small drill bit 1/8 and worked my way up. Is this a M6 or M8 screw?

If you can drill a hole enough to thread a small threaded stud, put a hex nut on it and try that.

Usually the screw breaks. Mine was ona turbo Exhuast flange.

If you have to drill, at least you have the screw head available to establish centerline for the drilling. I've drilled out hundreds of screws on old land cruisers, goal is to get a hole close to the tap drill size and most importantly to drill straight and on center. But you probably already know that. After it's drilled clean out any leftover screw pieces and then run a tap through it to clean up enough to thread in a new fastener. Good luck, hope the impact driver does the trick!!!!!

It looks like you used too small of a bit. If you have a #3 laying around, there is still a bit of cross you may be able to get a bite on. Or you can modify a #2 bit by grinding the tip down until the bit fully seats in the screw. The bit will be tight when you get it fitting right.

If the housing isn't needed or if you scar it up a dermal could make a slot for a flat head screw driver.

It looks like you used too small of a bit. If you have a #3 laying around, there is still a bit of cross you may be able to get a bite on. Or you can modify a #2 bit by grinding the tip down until the bit fully seats in the screw. The bit will be tight when you get it fitting right.

I used the proper #3 bit, impact grade DeWalt. It (the screw head) stripped a bit, so I pushed harder on it and tried to diesel it and made it worse.

I have a spare cover if needed. Think a flathead may fit in now and grab. Hammer impact driver just arrived. May attempt it when done with paperwork for the day.

Last edited:
Screw head was too jacked to get the impact to seat properly. Ended up going with a left hand drill bit. drilled down a bit, then upped the size. Got lucky and when I stepped up in size it grabbed the head and the screw released. WIN.

20200603_111337[1].jpg

Also made progress getting the small inside coolant connector part out of the block, will likely need to get a replacement part for that. The oil pump gasket was basically hard plastic now. Just waiting on the replacement screws to put the new on back on and do the front main seal as well. Slow progress as it's hella hot out today and all the next steps require getting under the truck for a bit ... bleh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom