Hitting a Wall with Bumper Selection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This looks ok to me. Now I see the gap between the bumper and fender.. I'm not worried about this..

Any limitations on winch size with this bumper?

View attachment 2415981

You need that gap there. The bumper will move independently of the fenders. If there is no gap, you will get gawdawful creaking sounds from the friction. And then you'll wish you just went out wheeling before you spent the money on a bumper.

You don't need a front bumper unless you're planning to run a winch (even then it's not necessary), run obstacles that require the clearance, or are at very high risk of hitting a deer or something. If you wait to build the truck up before you take it out, you'll run the risk of looking like a poser. Just run it, man! I've run my truck on trails from bone stock to its current position. I found myself needing a winch and the clearance for the kind of wheeling I do, so I bought the bumper. if I was just doing simple fire roads, I'd have left the tupperware and not looked like a weirdo driving a tank around downtown Atlanta :lol:

You need that gap there. The bumper will move independently of the fenders. If there is no gap, you will get gawdawful creaking sounds from the friction. And then you'll wish you just went out wheeling before you spent the money on a bumper.

You don't need a front bumper unless you're planning to run a winch (even then it's not necessary), run obstacles that require the clearance, or are at very high risk of hitting a deer or something. If you wait to build the truck up before you take it out, you'll run the risk of looking like a poser. Just run it, man! I've run my truck on trails from bone stock to its current position. I found myself needing a winch and the clearance for the kind of wheeling I do, so I bought the bumper. if I was just doing simple fire roads, I'd have left the tupperware and not looked like a weirdo driving a tank around downtown Atlanta :lol:
Totally understand. One of the events I want to attend requires a winch. So its coming from that.. I have hit deer around here. There are a lot where I go.

How does one “just run the truck” stock truck vs. installing a steel bumper against zombies that block highways and city streets? Asking for a friend...

You may want to run a winch with remote mounted solenoid. You can mount infront of the air filter box or infront of radiator (behind grille is where I run mine). ComeUP has some good options: Seal Gen2 9.5RS or 12.5RS. The 9.5 is plenty enough especially if you use a snatch block, its geared higher so its a bit quicker than the 12.5. TrailTailor sells a winch plate for stock bumper if you want to run stock until you settle on a high clearance bumper.

Bumpers: wait and buy the bumper you really want. Dont hold off on your offroad ventures because of no high clearance bumper- run what ya brung.

For off the shelf bumper; ARB is a solid option; but they are heavy and the approach angles are not as good as others. I like the clean lines and simplicity of the TJM , (or similar Ironman). Custom: If you can wait; buying one of Bens (Dissent offroad) bumpers is a work of art (and available in Aluminum). And BIOR is another solid custom option.

I echo @abuck99's comment - "wait and buy the bumper you really want."

See, the reason bumpers and other accessories are readily available for Jeeps and other trucks is that if their owners had to wait a couple months, there's a good chance the truck may not still be on the road anymore. We Toyota owners know we'll have our trucks for years... and don't mind waiting for the perfect part. ;)

Thanks Guys for the info. I managed to find the bumper that I really want. 4WP has it in stock. I got the last one. I can pick it up next week from the local store.

I will get my buddy with the the body shop to relocate the antenna tab to outer edge so the hood will clear it. I ordered the Fog light with LED and the wiring harness.

The part number has changed to be 3413190. Now to figure out which winch.

1598392621668.png

Nice choice.

Be sure you leave about a pinky gap between the bumper and fender wings. You do not want them touching. It's annoying.

The instructions you get from ARB are gonna suck, hard. Recommend you find a write up here that you can reference.

Congrats!

Thanks again to you all. I wouldn't have thought to look at 4WP and then call them. They have a local store so I can pick it up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom